• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving lights where fog lights go

I personally wouldn't do it because I drive mine on the trail and i already trimmed the valance off where the fogs would mount. Since mine is a sport it didn't have them to begin with. Just get you some Hella 500's and mount them on top of the bumper they aren't too deep so they just barely stick out past my bumper.

yup, there is a mounting hole up in the bumper that you can just bolt the new lights to and if you have the factory lights to start with you will have the power leads already down there, so just wire into those and you will be good to go. (that is the short but sweet version)

AWESOME thank you for your advice I will look into wiring into factory power leads! I just found Hella model 1402 driving lights they are the right size 2" x 3-1/4" thank you again

xray if you use the fog wiring you are aware that the headlights have to be on to get power to the factory wiring and the headlight have to be on low beams.

xray if you use the fog wiring you are aware that the headlights have to be on to get power to the factory wiring and the headlight have to be on low beams.

Correct. Plus the factory fog wiring isn't that great. I'd run new wires if I were you.

The headlights have to be on for 97+ fog lights to operate? On my 95 just the marker lights (OR headlights) had to be on for the factory fogs to work.

But yes they do lose their power when the highbeams are added. However I got rid of that "feature" (hinderance?) so my fogs still stay on if the highbeams are on. Why would I want less light when I pull the lever back for more light? I know some state laws say no fogs with highbeams but there are alot of laws out there and most likely our lifted rigs are illegal as it is.

I know some state laws say no fogs with highbeams but there are alot of laws out there and most likely our lifted rigs are illegal as it is.

:sure:

Sorry, but as one who happens to really have trouble seeing when some azzhat is approaching with their high beams on and another set of aux lights, I couldn't agree with you less with your logic.

Last edited:
Operational mistakes happen, that is why the States manadated how the manufactures wired their factory aux lights and limited their wattage.

As stated, it's your logic I find faulty. You can't justify a modification that does not meet DOT standards by telling folks that there are too many laws and that most of our rigs are illegal already. Try that line of reasoning with your area State Patrolman; it doesn't fly. Please take the time to wire the lights the right way, and according to your State's vehicular code.

I am not really trying to reason my modification. That is just what I think and don't really care if it is legal not. Hell I added a 3rd light to the center of my pushbumper which is illegall too. You are only supposed to have 4 white lights on at a time to the front; now I have 5.

I am not really trying to reason my modification. That is just what I think and don't really care if it is legal not. Hell I added a 3rd light to the center of my pushbumper which is illegall too. You are only supposed to have 4 white lights on at a time to the front; now I have 5.

I wired mine the same way. I only use the Hella's on the trail or if I'm driving in the country so i can see deer in the road. As long as you use common sense it will be fine!

Yeah, mine is the factory wire though. There was a wire going from the highbeam relay to the foglight relay that I removed which turned the foglights off when the highbeams are on. In fact if you unplug that highbeam relay the highbeams still work. Not sure why there is a relay there for the highbeams. Some wierd factory stuff.

As you know the headlights and highbeams do not use relays from the factory....perhaps it is an extra relay for the highbeams to trip the fog light relay. Sounds like a waste. Either way they were mounted infront of my airbox on the front clip area right below the radiator cap.

Operational mistakes happen, that is why the States manadated how the manufactures wired their factory aux lights and limited their wattage.

As stated, it's your logic I find faulty. You can't justify a modification that does not meet DOT standards by telling folks that there are too many laws and that most of our rigs are illegal already. Try that line of reasoning with your area State Patrolman; it doesn't fly. Please take the time to wire the lights the right way, and according to your State's vehicular code.

Dude...seriously? You're coming across as being a little difficult. Do you really think he leaves all his lights on while traffic is coming towards him? I wired around the switch too...and I'm willing to be 99% of us with auxilary lights on our rigs, did NOT wire them to shut off when the hi-beams turn on.

I wired mine the same way. I only use the Hella's on the trail or if I'm driving in the country so i can see deer in the road. As long as you use common sense it will be fine!

Same here. I live in an area with tons of deer. My wife hit two between March and October last year....one of them 50 yards from my street and the other 5 minutes from the house.

Dude...seriously? You're coming across as being a little difficult.

When doesn't he? :roflmao: Just do what everyone else does and ignore him! :D

Just to state I never blind anybody with my lights. The only times I can see the light shining in anybodys eyes is when they are driving a lowered civic with a body kit and fart pipe towards me. In that case it makes me laugh :)

Back