NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 17th, 2020, 09:49
NAXJA Member #920

Re: BUILD - 1990 XJ Wagoneer Limited

There are plenty of plug-and-play harnesses, so no issues there.

There are a number of H4-based housings that swap directly into the 6054-type sealed beam units - Autopal, Hella, Cibie, IPF, etc. You can get either the North American beam pattern or the (much superior) E-Code type, and unless someone starts comparing the fluting on the glass, they'll never see the difference.

I can also attest to the fact that a set of Autopal H4 E-code housings, even on the OEM wiring, is a MASSIVE improvement in headlight output over any sealed-beam unit, having done that for 10 years before adding the a relay harness.

Example link for the autopal units to get if you want to go this way: https://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H6054...4383.l4275.c10
Old October 13th, 2020, 16:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
You can get housings that have better beam patterns and take modern bulbs and won't change the look.
Fantastic. I love the idea of LEDs, but it would change it up too much. Plus old wiring is...old wiring.

I'm feeling like work is going to resume on this thing again soon. I'm still waiting on the redone trim/moulding. We moved in the middle of all this and I have boxes of parts I need to sort through and clean.

Depending on all the stuff going on - assuming the world doesn't end - I'm hoping it's back home by the end of the year.
Old October 13th, 2020, 16:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post

Example link for the autopal units to get if you want to go this way: https://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H6054...4383.l4275.c10
Plug and play is just my speed. I had a Ford Focus years back that I converted to the euro headlights/front end and that was most certainly NOT plug and play. I got it done, but what a pain in the butt that was.

I'll check these out, thanks!
Old October 13th, 2020, 17:14
NAXJA Member

I am sure that I had part numbers for European 'E' marked equivalents of the double row Wagoneer headlamps but I can't find them now. Fairly certain they were only available from Hella over here, no idea if they are still available.

Are the original Wagoneer lamps all 4"x6"? If so there are plenty of DOT LED replacements available now.
https://betterautomotivelighting.com...ight-housings/
Old October 14th, 2020, 09:45
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeWaggy View Post
Plug and play is just my speed. I had a Ford Focus years back that I converted to the euro headlights/front end and that was most certainly NOT plug and play. I got it done, but what a pain in the butt that was.

I'll check these out, thanks!
Glad to be of help. Here's a link to the harness I bought for my truck:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pics don't indicate it, but what I got was an actual Hella-branded harness with Hella-branded relays.

If you've got the 4-bulb headlight system, then this harness and those E-codes won't work for you, but you might be able to reach out to the sellers to see if they have equivalent products for your application.

Vince, I think the 4x6 might be the 6054-type. The 4-light Wagoneer models had smaller lights, I think.
Old October 14th, 2020, 17:04
NAXJA Member

Rob, you're right, I don't remember them being an 8"+ tall stack. They must have been smaller.