• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 fill hole plug

JoesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Why is the fill hole on a dana 35 stopped by a rubber plug and not a screw in type like the dana 30 in the front ?? Can you seal the plug with gasket seal? Is it because it acts as a breather or is there a breather somehwere else?....just confused. Thanks!

There should be a breather hose that comes out the top (with a plastic fitting.)

Is the hole for the rubber plug threaded? If it is, it's probably 1/2"NPT, and you can just go get a pipe plug for it. If not, get a cover off of an early D35, and get a 1/2" NPT plug for that (I know this because I keep a short handful of 1/2" NPT brass plugs around for all my axles...)

You should find 1/2" NPT pipe plugs at your local hardware store. Iron plugs will work, but they'll rust over time - that's why I use brass. ABS and PVC aren't even worth considering - it's bad enough that they used rubber down there for a while...

5-90

cool. I looked and must have missed the breather, my little plug is leaking so I think I might just seal it up.

Rubber plugs will do that after a while - they get cracks from ozone (which really is everywhere.)

Check again and see if the hole isn't threaded - it's worth getting a real plug rather than faking it again. If it isn't threaded, look into getting a cover (if I had a spare, I'd send it your way - but all mine are "in use" right now...)

5-90

I changed the gear oil this weekend, its smooth as a baby butt, I wish it ws threaded though. I just might go out this weekend and get myself a new diff cover from one at the local junk yard (great idea, thanks!). Thanks for the info!

Anyone know if the ChryCo 8.25" cover is threaded? They also have a cheesy rubber plug. I was amazed that a rubber plug would be used in such a critical application.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Anyone know if the ChryCo 8.25" cover is threaded? They also have a cheesy rubber plug. I was amazed that a rubber plug would be used in such a critical application.
It's got a rubber plug too.

One can always go BUY A TAP for NPT and thread the hole on your existing cover. It would probably take all of 10 minutes, and save running to every boneyard in the county trying to find an old cover with a threaded hole.

Sorry to be the lone one to disagree....just replace the plug.

I ran the stock rubber plug in mine for over 8 years, 100K miles, MUD, water, snoe etc... until I replaced the axle. If the rubber plug is in good condition, and does not leak, there is no reason to install a threaded one.

Rev

Back