NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 13th, 2019, 17:50
NAXJA Member

2.1 Sluggo

Evening fellas, my name is Corey and I’ve just aquired an 85 XJ 2.1TD from a buddy of mine who built it 18 years ago for wheeling. I know this is a bit of a rare beast and parts can be scarce which is really why I’m here; both to learn as much about the mill as possible and to contribute where I can; hopefully rekindle a dialog about these things... No posting pics yet so; the jeep is a 85, 4 door auto, with a Klune underdrive, narrowed Waggy 44s, Q78 Super Swampers on Waggy rims with Staun Beadlocks, front winch bumper/brush guard/air tank combo, 10k Warn winch, rocker skid air tanks, rear bumper/air tank combo, onboard air, 4.56 gears with chromolly shafts, and detroits F/R.. Theres not a clean panal on the entire rig; its nickname is “Sluggo”....

Last edited by BadLarry; February 13th, 2019 at 18:31.
Old February 13th, 2019, 22:57
NAXJA Member

Re: 2.1 Sluggo

I see you have a paid membership -- You should be able to post pictures -- Naxja will host them too

Upper left you'll see User CP -- click that and find your Pictures and Albums -- Top 1/3 on the left side -- Load your pictures there then link them in the post

Welcome to the site
Old February 13th, 2019, 23:26
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I see you have a paid membership -- You should be able to post pictures -- Naxja will host them too

Upper left you'll see User CP -- click that and find your Pictures and Albums -- Top 1/3 on the left side -- Load your pictures there then link them in the post

Welcome to the site
Evening, thanks for the hello Heavy.. I’ll give it a shot; a little different than pirate and other forums, I should be able to bull my way through it..
Old February 13th, 2019, 23:33
NAXJA Member

Last edited by BadLarry; February 13th, 2019 at 23:40.
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:26
NAXJA Forum User

2.1 Sluggo

I like sluggo. Keep us posted on what you have going on with it!
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:19
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
I like sluggo. Keep us posted on what you have going on with it!
Thanks! Will do. I have some deferred maintenance to deal with outta the gate here. There is a fuel leak originating somewhere up near the timing cover, I’m going to rebuild the vaccum pump and I need to find a set of the stock soft or medium duty springs to throw in the back of it. The drivers side spring is “S”d pretty bad.
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLarry View Post
I need to find a set of the stock soft or medium duty springs to throw in the back of it. The drivers side spring is “S”d pretty bad.
Make sure to check out that shock before you pull the trigger on new springs. Had a bent shock rod cause the same problem on my '96. Only found out about it AFTER I had replaced the springs, which is kinda an expensive, PITA job. :-\
Old February 14th, 2019, 12:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNoob View Post
Make sure to check out that shock before you pull the trigger on new springs. Had a bent shock rod cause the same problem on my '96. Only found out about it AFTER I had replaced the springs, which is kinda an expensive, PITA job. :-\
Thanks for the advise. The shocks are fine; the springs are S’d from years of punishment. They definitely need to be scrapped and shredded into a million little pieces...
Old February 14th, 2019, 18:10
NAXJA Member

Those leaf spring bolts can be a beast to crack loose. If you’re able to get the pb blaster or kroil out and soak any related fasteners ahead of time, you’ll be doing yourself a big favour. Good luck dude, I like seeing these older and less common XJs get a new lease on life!
Old February 14th, 2019, 18:19
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean778 View Post
Those leaf spring bolts can be a beast to crack loose. If you’re able to get the pb blaster or kroil out and soak any related fasteners ahead of time, you’ll be doing yourself a big favour. Good luck dude, I like seeing these older and less common XJs get a new lease on life!
Oh I hear ya, New England isnt too nice to unsprung parts.... I’m just going to torch them off; I hate reusing Ubolts.. Thanks though!
Old February 14th, 2019, 19:21
NAXJA Forum User

welcome to another Maine Member, i saw the name Bad Larry and figured you must be a down easter.
Old February 14th, 2019, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

forgot i was going to add something of use here. harry j smith in waterville can make you new leaf springs, i have them on 2 of my xj's and they work well.

also check your shackles out carefully, mine were both rotted from Maine salt.
Old February 14th, 2019, 19:38
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzAMC View Post
welcome to another Maine Member, i saw the name Bad Larry and figured you must be a down easter.
Well not quite down east, I grew up in Round Pond just above Boothbay harbor. You’d never believe me in a million years but a buddy of mine and I made up the term Bad Larry about 20-25 years ago when we built a Nitrous Pickle fork we use to race..
Old February 14th, 2019, 19:43
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzAMC View Post
forgot i was going to add something of use here. harry j smith in waterville can make you new leaf springs, i have them on 2 of my xj's and they work well.

also check your shackles out carefully, mine were both rotted from Maine salt.
Thanks for that info, Harry J sounds familiar. More than likely I’ll go to the pick and pull in Brunswick; I called the other day and they said they have a hand full of them. I’ll just go torch out a set that look decent. I dont want anything too stiff or new, I’d rather have a set thats been worked a bit. I’ll pull them apart, grease-um then put-um back together and see how it rides.
It’s got a set of RE shackles on there now, their solid. The whole shackle hanger and fixed eye side of the spring hangers have been reworked.

Last edited by BadLarry; February 14th, 2019 at 19:47.