NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old February 12th, 2019, 01:30
NAXJA Forum User

Need to rethread a plug hole from a blown plug

Bought an '11 Vic with the 4.6L back in June and a few months back I tried to change out the plugs. All came out ok except for cyl 4 which only cranked out 1/4 turn. Had a shop take it out and they said they had to redo the threads. I've seen videos where you can remove a stuck plug by drilling into it somehow, but because this was in the 4 position and hard to get to I'm guessing they just power cranked it out. Not sure but I'm guessing those threads are compromised now.

Well, this past weekend that same plug blew out of cyl 4. Inspection reveals a coil and boot jammed up underneath the fuel rail and a plug that I fished out without any turning. When I go to install a new plug it just sits on top of the threads and turns without going in. So I guess what's happened is that the plug rotated most of the way out but when it got to the last couple threads the compression blew it out the rest of the way, and that it's just the top few threads in the hole that are damaged. Inspection of the plug reveals that most of the threads are intact except for the 2-3 that are closest to the element.

So my question is...should I try to fix this myself or just take it to a shop? Some kind of tap tool would probably fix it, but since it's the beginning threads that are boogered it'd probably have to start from the inside of the cylinder. I really don't have a clue as to how to approach this.
Old February 13th, 2019, 13:00
NAXJA Member

Re: Need to rethread a plug hole from a blown plug

I would call the shop that "repaired" the threads and ask them why the plug did not stay in.

I'm going to say look for a timesert product that will fit your application: http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplugford.html

Old February 14th, 2019, 07:25
Sarge <3 Ben

Re: Need to rethread a plug hole from a blown plug

They sell a kit to make the repair...might just be cheaper to have a shop do it. But I agree with hypoid....take it back to the shop that did the work. If they already made a repair, it's on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Sert-tri...35520582&psc=1