• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What have I got? (Differential)

tellicorick

NAXJA Forum User
I've got some type of locker in a Dana 44 housing that I'm going to try and use for my XJ build-up. Calling TracTech; they said it wasn't one of theirs, but I vaguely remember when I bought it, it was supposed to be a SoftLocker. The numbers engraved on the case are "14L95 16D". Anybody have an idea what it actually is? Right now, Ive got it installed but need to pull it out to install some higher gears (3.73 or 4.11) and need to know if I can run this ratio?

I looked at Eaton's and Auburn's numbers for ya but they don't correspond with what you show. This is a full-case locker (not a lock-rite etc...)

FWIW the carrier break for a D44 is 3.73:1 and down / 3.92 and up...

Yes, it's a full case locker. Talking to some guys at Reider Racing, they say that the last 3 numbers/letters (16D) identify it as a Detroit Locker for 3.73 and below; but not sure about the other numbers/letters. Does this sound correct?

what kind of 44 is it? i think a lot of them came with trac-locs stock

Does it look like this?
Detroit02.jpg

No, doesn't look quite like that. It is definately after-market, 'cause I bought it, but can't remember much about the purchase or just what I have. But, I seem to remember is was a Detroit Soft-Locker, but Tractech says my numbers just don't match up.

16D definately sounds like Detroit designation for 3.73 & down carriers (16C is for 3.92 & up). 3.73 is as low as you can go with this one.

it might be old style Detroit locker (pre-Soft Locker), as all Soft Lockers have SL in the model number.

why don't you email or call Tractech and ask them.
http://www.tractech.com/ContactUs.htm
(800) 328-3850

Back