• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken rear shock stud. Grade 8 or 5?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I broke the rear shock stud installing my 5100's. Got a cool dude locally that's gonna weld on a new bolt but I'm just curious if it matters whether the bolt is grade 5 or grade 8?

I got a bunch of 3" x 1/2" and 3.5" x 1/2" grade 5 bolts so they should be perfect lengthwise.

NO, factory would be close to grade 5

Alright I'll just go to TSC and get some grade 8 bolts. I was hoping to use the grade 5 I had laying around and put that $6 I'd spend on grade 8 towards something more useful, like a beer or two.

home depot, grade 5 5/8 bolt, cut the old stud off flush the weld new bolt on, dont this to my past 2 xj's with out issue, 1 a dd and the other a trail rig that got the shit beat out of it, really no need for a grade 8, once welded it messes up it hardness anyways

You are going to have your buddy weld a bead on the top of the pressurized shock? You are a good friend.

I'd be ok with grade 5. Look up the minimum ultimate tensile strength for a grade 5 bolt, apply that to your size of choice, and see how many thousands of pounds it is good for.

You are going to have your buddy weld a bead on the top of the pressurized shock? You are a good friend.
wait, what? pretty sure he means weld it onto the axle. rear shocks dont have studs, theyre ladies.

I'd be ok with grade 5. Look up the minimum ultimate tensile strength for a grade 5 bolt, apply that to your size of choice, and see how many thousands of pounds it is good for.

x2, if you really wanna skimp out, whats the worst that can happen? go for it, if your gonna skimp anywhere on a suspension, heres the place...

do it, people online will allways be more gracious with your money then you would be...

especially if you already have the bolt. If a shock bolt breaks its not a big deal.

Shoot, should I take my grade 8 bolts out then?

Lol.....that's funny but no. It's the axle stud. The threaded part snapped off so I want him to cut off the entire stud, grind the base flat, and weld a new bolt on it but at a slight angle. I have a SYE and tilted the axle for driveshaft alignment so the stud was angled upwards and doesn't allow the shock bushing to sit properly so I hope he can grind the head of the bolt at an angle and weld it so it's horizontal.

The other off road shop that I considered wanted to cut off the brackets and weld new ones level with the tube but I don't really need it and don't feel like buying two more shorter shocks. It's the way to go but not really necessary for me.

I went to the hardware store to check out the grade 8 stuff. $4.95 a lb ain't too shabby. The other place I always got my bolts charged BY the bolt. I tried to fit a 5/8" x 3 bolt in the bushing but that phucker wouldn't fit. I bet a little grease will get it on. I can still use 1/2" bolts with the shock bushing sleeve instead but can't pre-load the bushing with that.

So i grabbed two 3 x 1/2 bolts and two 3 x 5/8 bolts (and nuts/washers) all for $6. Not bad. We'll see what Joe says when he goes about welding it.

He drilled a hole through the backside of the mount and cut off the stud. Unfortunately he did not have a 5/8" drill bit so we used the 1/2 bolt. Unfortunately, again, the 3" bolt was not long enough so all I had in the bag was a 3.5" grade 5 bolt. He stuck it in there and bolted up the shock. It didn't need to be welded since the mount was like 1/2" thick and held the bolt straight. So if by any chance the bolt does break, I just pop it out and replace it with another.

Back