• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing "uni-frame-rails"

rider385

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I recently moved and left my job to work full time on my Xj project :dunce:

I'm cutting the back as for now, waiting on my DOM tubes and its going along great. I removed the rockers including the floor from the frame rail and out, even cut the bottom of the door... replaced by a custom piece of 3/16".

the questions are:

1. if I brace the thing with a... lets say 2"x4" steel square tube length wise inside the truck and I shoot some 1" squares to my new rockers and the centre tunnel, will the jeep fold in half when I'll completely remove the frame section between the wheels (forward to leaf bracket) (before the front goes up) ?

2. I have a RE 5.5 Long arms installed, if I ONLY disassemble the arms from the crossmember (for it to be removed for modification) will my front axle go "asta la vista" and the jeep faceplant?

any experience greatly appreciated :D (pictures coming ;))

Hi I recently moved and left my job to work full time on my Xj project :dunce:
DAMN!! Got you a suga mamma or somethin? Not hating.. Just jealous. :laugh2::laugh2: J/K man!

First off.... WELCOME to the board!!!

I would be real hesitant to cut into the unibody rails to brace with 2x4. Thats just me though. Sounds like you have some fab skills, why not just buy/make some 3/16 frame stiffeners and weld those in and tie your boat sides/ rocker replacement to that? Seems like a lot less work IMO.

Last edited:
First off, thank you

I'll try to add some information that may clarify the "why!?" of this:

I love the boat side term! that's correct. These plates will become the bottom of the cockpit, hence, no flat floor pan (just a foot rest) so that any water or mud coming in will stay in there untill drained. the oem unirail has this "S" shape to it that makes everything so dam... CURVY :doh: by replacing the oem rail by a straight front to back rail I will just attach my piece of plate between the wheels in one cake.

On the other hand, weight! If I can pull off replacing instead of adding, I'll do in a heart beat:clap:

Oh and the braces are not permanent they would be there instead of the oem rail until the custom rail gets welded in.

p.s. I'm a day away from putting my rail napkin' plan in the cad prior to laser cut and bending, that wont happen if I have a folded in half truck between the two XD

So this is where I stand, pictures as promised.

IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg

His last posing was over five years ago.

I'm a day away from putting my rail napkin' plan in the cad prior to laser cut and bending, that wont happen if I have a folded in half truck between the two XD

My guess is that his truck "folded in half" :dunno:

Back