• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering noise/slop

chrisser

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a 2001 XJ in February. It's my first Jeep. Wish I had bought one years ago.

It had 130k+ miles but is in great shape other than most of the parts are still OEM so they're ready for replacing. Just finished rebuilding the front suspension, new shocks all around. Chasing some electrical issues.

I finished up the front suspension this weekend. Everything is now tight except the steering. There is a little play in the pitman shaft on the steering gear as well as the input shaft. The intermediate shaft is sloppy on the slip joint and the u-joint. The lower column bearing is pretty well worn. Combined, there's a bunch of slop and noise.

I'm a pretty competent amateur mechanic with a decent set of tools. Wouldn't mind trying to rebuild the bearings on the steering gear. The sector seems tight. Haven't been able to find a rebuild kit for an 01 yet. Any advice on locating one?

Tried to get an intermediate shaft from Chrysler. The last one in their national inventory sold out a few days prior. Looks like the only option is the Borgeson or trying to find a better one in the junkyard.

None of the listings for XJ lower column bearings show them for 2001. Any ideas on where I could locate one? I'd prefer having a replacement before taking it apart.

Junkyard, replace the whole column as an assembly, put your lock cylinder back in it.

Steering gear is too cheap to warrant disassembly.

Such is the story for lots of things anymore.

Back