NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 23rd, 2015, 17:20
hot_rod_hooligans's Avatar
hot_rod_hooligans hot_rod_hooligans is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,048
Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

I've recently switched all of my lighting over to LED(with the exception of headlights). I have the LED flasher relay so hyper flashing isn't the problem. My problem is when I hit my brakes(no lights on) the dash and front parking lights light up a little. With my parking/headlights on, the turn signal indicators on my dash light up, maybe 50% power, they flash dark and full power when I hit my turn signals/hazards. I also have "switch back" LEDs in the front, the way they are supposed to work is: they are white as a parking/marker light, hit the turn signal and they flash amber, then switch back to white when the turn signal turn off. They don't do that. Most of the time they stay amber, unless I just have my parking lights on, then they are white. But most of the time, once I switch my headlights or fog lights on, they switch to amber. Driving around at night, sometimes they do switch back to white, so I have one white, one amber, driving down the road, and eventually they seem to switch to amber. So, basically the switch back bulbs work the way they are supposed to about 50% of the time.

I've tried regular LED bulbs in the front, but the low/high function was very minimal, and almost not visible, at least with the switch back bulbs it flashes on/off.

Any suggestions as to fixes? I tried the load equalizers before, it just made the stock flasher buzz if I had the parking lights on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 23rd, 2015, 19:20
Anak's Avatar
Anak Anak is offline
Stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hoth
Posts: 4,330
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

I don't have any answers, but I have one of your problems. Running my rear LEDs through a TowReady converter box everything was working fine. Then I replaced my front turn signals with LEDs (under the headlight only, not the side markers--still incan in those) and now I have the green turn signal indicators on full time with the headlights/parking lights. They will flash brighter when the turn signals are on, but besides that they are on if the headlight switch is on.

I was thinking about trying to add resistors (are those what you are calling "load equalizers"?) to see if the issue was the system thinking I had bulbs out due to insufficient load on the switch. If you have already gone that route that may indicate I would be wasting my time.

I need to take a look at the wiring schematic and see if I can figure out the logic that turns those indicators on full time.

For what it is worth, mine is a '96, and what I added for LEDs are not just drop in bulbs but rather oval LED marker lights such as you would find on a trailer.

I would like to find a solution.
__________________
Project "Scope Creep": 1996 4wd 4.0L, AX15

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 24th, 2015, 13:07
trippled trippled is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 2,341
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Picture or link to the bulbs you're using in the front?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 24th, 2015, 15:28
hot_rod_hooligans's Avatar
hot_rod_hooligans hot_rod_hooligans is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,048
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...car/1915/4479/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 24th, 2015, 18:20
RedHeep's Avatar
RedHeep RedHeep is offline
NAXJA #1499
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New London, OH
Posts: 8,702
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I don't have any answers, but I have one of your problems. Running my rear LEDs through a TowReady converter box everything was working fine. Then I replaced my front turn signals with LEDs (under the headlight only, not the side markers--still incan in those) and now I have the green turn signal indicators on full time with the headlights/parking lights. They will flash brighter when the turn signals are on, but besides that they are on if the headlight switch is on.

I was thinking about trying to add resistors (are those what you are calling "load equalizers"?) to see if the issue was the system thinking I had bulbs out due to insufficient load on the switch. If you have already gone that route that may indicate I would be wasting my time.

I need to take a look at the wiring schematic and see if I can figure out the logic that turns those indicators on full time.

For what it is worth, mine is a '96, and what I added for LEDs are not just drop in bulbs but rather oval LED marker lights such as you would find on a trailer.

I would like to find a solution.
When I switched my gauges to LED, the residual current caused the turn signals to come on like you're talking about. I had to go back to regular bulbs in the indicators, but I left everything else LED.

I have LED bulbs in the front markers, side markers and all the rear lights. They all work like they're supposed to with an electronic flasher.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 24th, 2015, 18:23
RedHeep's Avatar
RedHeep RedHeep is offline
NAXJA #1499
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New London, OH
Posts: 8,702
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod_hooligans View Post
I've recently switched all of my lighting over to LED(with the exception of headlights). I have the LED flasher relay so hyper flashing isn't the problem. My problem is when I hit my brakes(no lights on) the dash and front parking lights light up a little. With my parking/headlights on, the turn signal indicators on my dash light up, maybe 50% power, they flash dark and full power when I hit my turn signals/hazards. I also have "switch back" LEDs in the front, the way they are supposed to work is: they are white as a parking/marker light, hit the turn signal and they flash amber, then switch back to white when the turn signal turn off. They don't do that. Most of the time they stay amber, unless I just have my parking lights on, then they are white. But most of the time, once I switch my headlights or fog lights on, they switch to amber. Driving around at night, sometimes they do switch back to white, so I have one white, one amber, driving down the road, and eventually they seem to switch to amber. So, basically the switch back bulbs work the way they are supposed to about 50% of the time.

I've tried regular LED bulbs in the front, but the low/high function was very minimal, and almost not visible, at least with the switch back bulbs it flashes on/off.

Any suggestions as to fixes? I tried the load equalizers before, it just made the stock flasher buzz if I had the parking lights on.
Do you have a early body style or a late one?

If you have 96 and down, you should be running amber bulbs in your front markers in both parking and turn mode. Those lenses are white and white parking lights are illegal (and annoying).

If you have a 97+, you've probably got some weird late model stuff going on. The bulbs I bought on amazon work well as turn signals and dim as front markers. Maybe you need to take a look at a different brand/type of bulb.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 24th, 2015, 19:56
Anak's Avatar
Anak Anak is offline
Stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Hoth
Posts: 4,330
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post
When I switched my gauges to LED, the residual current caused the turn signals to come on like you're talking about. I had to go back to regular bulbs in the indicators, but I left everything else LED.

I have LED bulbs in the front markers, side markers and all the rear lights. They all work like they're supposed to with an electronic flasher.
Interesting.

I don't know what I have in the instrument cluster. I have assumed incandescent, and in fact, now that I think about it I expect that it is indeed incandescent because the indicator lights ramp up and down like an incan rather than the immediate on and off of an LED.

I have not done LED side markers either. I think my problem revolves around the LED driving lights/turn signals. Everything was fine until I changed those.
__________________
Project "Scope Creep": 1996 4wd 4.0L, AX15

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 26th, 2015, 17:17
in4aride in4aride is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montrose
Posts: 14,109
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

When we did the led in sisters rig we had to put inline resisters in. Her turn indicators were constantly lit and would blink super rapid. Inline resistors sorted it out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 28th, 2015, 15:16
hot_rod_hooligans's Avatar
hot_rod_hooligans hot_rod_hooligans is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,048
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post
Do you have a early body style or a late one?

If you have 96 and down, you should be running amber bulbs in your front markers in both parking and turn mode. Those lenses are white and white parking lights are illegal (and annoying).

If you have a 97+, you've probably got some weird late model stuff going on. The bulbs I bought on amazon work well as turn signals and dim as front markers. Maybe you need to take a look at a different brand/type of bulb.
White parking lights are illegal? So how is Jeep, Audi, and countless other new cars able to get away with it? Your turn signal is supposed to be amber.......
Besides, it was the only way I've been able to get a definitive on-off turn signal with me headlights on, up until recently at least.

It is a 96, and I had assumed that there was a possibility that cheap eBay brake lights may be bleeding through to the rest of the system, so I went with a higher quality LED, I've since decided the rear is not the problem. The day after changing them over, when I switch the headlights on, the front turn signals don't flash at all, the side markers do, but not the turn signal. Someone suggested the in-line load equalizers, so I pulled the tail light wiring harnesses to wire in them in. With both harnesses pulled I checked the lights and it made no changes. So I swapped in a couple older regular amber led bulbs, still no change.

So now I'm left looking for where the wiring for the brake lights, and the parking lights intersect. I replaced the flasher and that didn't change anything, so I'm guessing brake light switch? Turn signal switch? Another relay?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 20th, 2015, 19:14
hot_rod_hooligans's Avatar
hot_rod_hooligans hot_rod_hooligans is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,048
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

So I've went through the rear wiring, and all of the connections are solid, but I'm starting to question the brake lights themselves. Because I did the reverse lights in the hatch, and I'm using Wagoneer lenses, I moved the turn signal lights to the clear lense that was the reverse light, I added a second brake light bulb to take the place of the empty spot that was the turn signal. I had been running three brake lights, but I started having problems with one of the bulbs on each side, they would all light up with the running lights, but one of them wouldn't light up when I hit the brakes? So I clipped the third pigtail and shrugged it off.

Front turn signals still don't flash when the parking lights are on, but the flash-back LEDs are working the way they are supposed to? It stays white with the parking lights, and turns amber when I hit the turn signal(doesn't flash though), turn signal turns off, and it switches back to white. I didn't actually do anything to it, it just kinda started working since I've been back from Vegas. I don't know if it's connected to the flash-backs working all of a sudden, or if it's because I cleaned up the ground connection on the fender tonight, but the front turn signals do flash with the hazards now.

I'm guessing that the front turn signals, and the dash lights coming on when I hit the brakes aren't entirely connected. Maybe the turn signal switch is causing the problem in the front?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:49
Hopkins Hopkins is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 31
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

I had some similar issues after switching to LEDs. After pulling the fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood everything went back to functioning properly. Takes less than 5 mins, so I suggest giving it a try
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 23rd, 2015, 15:00
Catch22 Catch22 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nashville
Posts: 254
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
I had some similar issues after switching to LEDs. After pulling the fog light relay in the fuse box under the hood everything went back to functioning properly. Takes less than 5 mins, so I suggest giving it a try
Without diving into the wire schematic, can you explain why the fog light relay helped? What led you to that relay?
I have the exact same issue as Anak but on a 2000. Everything works but the left signal in the instrument cluster is solid when the headlight are on. Working though it I assumed I need a LED flasher.
My understanding of why I don't have a fast flash is only die to the LED bulbs I'm using are high wattage (for LEDs) giving the circuit high enough load to be OK with the flasher but low enough to trigger the "bulb out" indication.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 19th, 2015, 18:58
dfulks's Avatar
dfulks dfulks is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Humboldt
Posts: 30
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Having this same issue on my 01, any input would be appreciated.
I did full led blinkers and side markers, none of the bulbs light up or do the hype flash like I expected. When I do hit my turn indicator it will flash my dash lights too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:53
Bstew_ Bstew_ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61
Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

I have LED side markers and decided I wanted to go full LEDs all the way around. I found there is a major polarity issue with LEDs. Some say it could be something to do with the trailer wiring harness if you have one wired in or the fog lights causing the polarity to be off in the circuitry of the jeep. Also that when the turn signals on the dash a dimly light as stated by a few of you on here. That usually means there is a polarity issue.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 20th, 2015, 20:02
Hopkins Hopkins is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 31
Re: Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Fog light relay FTW. I don't understand it, but it cured my symptoms. Polarity issue?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird lighting issue (MJ) CMNCHE OEM Tech Discussion 19 November 1st, 2013 07:23
Free indicator LEDs and general use LEDs.....lots of them Stallacrew FREE Items. No SPAM 3 September 11th, 2010 12:11
really weird lighting problems CBB311 OEM Tech Discussion 5 November 7th, 2008 04:13
lighting problem jolly_rogger OEM Tech Discussion 8 February 16th, 2008 07:50
lighting problem... XJeffro Modified Tech Discussion 9 October 27th, 2003 20:40


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014