• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hole in the Rock anyone?

MoabXJeeper

NAXJA Member #1398
Josh and I are thinking about doing this trail in May. Still in the planning stage but we want to work around the weekends of May 19-20 or the 26-27. It could be getting warm by then but should not be that bad. We are really getting the bug to do this trail bad!

Hey we're trying to get a group together to go run before a friend has to sell her jeep.

Since we are not getting a lot of interest I am going to throw a date out there. We are planning to do the trail Sat-Mon May 19th-21st. That would mean be down there and ready to roll early Saturday morning.

I'll mark it on my calendar. Do you want to set rig requirements? 33" tires and a rear locker at a minimum?

Oh, no way. I'm itching for some wheeling bad and hole in the rock would be a ton of fun. I'll be there with bells on.

Scary thought Israel. Ha ha ha! Josh and I are planning to stay till Tuesday. We want to get a couple quick hikes in before heading home.

Sounds good. I'll still need to be homeward bound Monday. Where are you planning on spending Monday night?

I ran this trail about 4 years ago in the early summer. Unless you are going to try to get way off the main trail (like ascending the Kaiparowits Plateau from the East), you won't need 33's or a rear locker. What limits you is how lately they have had a road grader down there to smooth out the washboards. Since the road spans two counties, there can be a big difference in the northern and southern sections. I would really like to do it again, but I need to see if my Heep holds up on the other side of the lake (Emigration Trail) around May 3 to 8 and then whether we get out of Lost Wages with our shirts and both kidneys. Then, I can decide.

We will spend Monday night in Comb Wash. Probably hike Butler wash and run up to Hotel rock before heading home Tuesday.

Back