NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:30
NAXJA Forum User

Question for those with Durango steering box: Pump question

For those of you running a Durango box: Did you have to upgrade your steering pump as well?

My reason for asking: I put in a Durango box a couple months ago. Works great. I did notice my steering pump really start whining a lot though, especially in high load situations (4 low, 1st gear, and I have an Aussie locker).

A few weeks ago, I replaced the steering pump (NAPA reman, stock replacement). Everything seemed to be fine after install and it bled easily. I had only street driven it since then though until today. (I also pulled my Aussie out for winter). Well, today we went out for some light wheeling and the new steering pump started making the same whining noises. (again, high load, 1st gear, 4low) As soon as I got back to pavement it quited down.

I never read anything about people replacing/upgrading the pump when doing the Durango box swap. I didn't know if it was necessary due to more fluid movement or something.

Any thoughts?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Question for those with Durango steering box: Pump question

I am still running the stock pump with a Durango box from a 98 model with the snow plow option. I installed it April of 2009 and the only issue I had was a slight groaning at low low RPMs for the first few weeks. Just make sure you get the steering bled well.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:20
NAXJA #1499

My pump sounds the same before and after I put the box in. I wouldn't think the box has anything to do with it. A stock cherokee pump just wasn't designed to do some of the things we ask of it.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 13:19
NAXJA Member

Many times whine is due o the fluid getting mixed with air and beat into a froth. Jack the front end up and cycle the steering lock to lock about a dozen times to try and burp out any air. Make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 13:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
Many times whine is due o the fluid getting mixed with air and beat into a froth. Jack the front end up and cycle the steering lock to lock about a dozen times to try and burp out any air. Make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir.

I did that several times. I would check for froth in the reservoir and there was none. I would only get the groan if it was idle in drive and I had the tires against a rock or embankment.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 14:48
NAXJA Member

I say ignore it then.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Lol...thats what I did. I didnt ever hear it on the street and it got less and less pronounced the more I used it. Now it never makes a sound. I attributed it to some air bubbles that may have been trapped in the system that I was not seeing.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 15:39
NAXJA Forum User

You might consider adding a p/s cooler, that would increase capacity as well as lower temps.