NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > The Daily Driver
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

The Daily Driver A technical forum for the ride that gets you to work every day.

Old December 27th, 2018, 15:10
NAXJA Member

Alternator Relpacement.

I am trying to cross pollinate a Toyota alternator with a Honda alternator. Both are Denso with internal regulator.

The alternator case is offset looking at the front. The Toyota is offset to the right and the Honda to the right.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/c...d?q=Alternator

I have in my hands both alternators. The problem is, the Toyota alternator is offset the wrong way and is touching the engine block, but the Molex (is it a molex) connector is three pin which I need to fit that on my '94 Toyota pickup. The Honda alternator fit just fine but have a 4 pin connector.

My question is, could I just replace the 4 wire regulator with the 3 wire unit? They both appear to be identical, only the external connector is different.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old January 1st, 2019, 17:02
NAXJA Member

Re: Alternator Relpacement.

Like so many other posts I have started, no one was able to help me or add a comment. Me and my "off the beaten path excursions",.. Well, that is just me always trying to re-invent or should I say "modify the wheel".

I went ahead and replaced the 4 wire regulator with one that have 3 wires. I did not let the factory smoke out. It is working just great charging at 14.5 volts then tapering to 14.3 after a short run.

Back when I was a MerCruiser mechanic, I used to change the regulator in AC Delco alternators making then what I want them to be. This is my first time to open a Denso alternator. I looked at several regulators and they all fit the same posts inside the alternator. The diode blocks are also identical. Only the field, ignition etc. connector is different.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:00
Huh, what?

Re: Alternator Relpacement.

Interesting, cool. Thanks for sharing