• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermitten 4WD problems

jbjustin33415

NAXJA Forum User
Took the jeep up to ocala to an offroad park to do some hill climbs and rock crawling. When I would try to ascend the hill all 4 wheels would turn but then the rear would stop turning.
mad.gif
I thought I might have broke my rear axle so I tried going up the hill in reverse and all 4 wheels would turn and then the front wheels would stop turning.
confused.gif
The transfer case was full of fluid and no noises. I hooked a strap to another jeep and we did a tug of war and all 4 wheels were spinning but as soon as I try to climb a hill the rear would stop working. I came to the conclusion that 4wd works on flat ground and the front/rear would stop working going up inclines. Tell me what you people think.

1989 4.0/AW4/242

sounds like you were in "full time" and not "part time"

Yup, pull the front or rear shaft and put it in fulltime- just spins! try part time

The transfer case did this in every selection except for 2wd which works flawlessly. I guess the transfer case is shot. I really didnt want to change it because of the down time but it looks like thats what Ill be doing.

jbjustin33415 said:
The transfer case did this in every selection except for 2wd which works flawlessly. I guess the transfer case is shot. I really didnt want to change it because of the down time but it looks like thats what Ill be doing.

I have had a lot of np242 problems, I now have a 231j case I am working on to replace it. I'm getting a wider chain and sprocket set, and tera 2 low kit. If you can sacrifice the full time mode.

we were at hardrock in ocala, fl. its an old rock quarry. its no big hills but i would estimate maybe 60 - 70 feet inclines with limestone/granite/other rock and clay surfaces. definately different than the mud and deep water im used to playing in.

Back