• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's sad, but true...

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
lbl080111.gif

Man, that is so very true in todays society. Sad, but true indeed.

My wife is a prime example. Got offered a job for $8 an hour yesterday. That is with a 4 year degree. She's currently working for $12/hr ish but she hates her job.

It really is sad...... with that kind of incentive it almost seems more worthwhile to just go ahead and enter the workforce straight out of high school, and hopefully by the time your 22-23 (about college graduation age) you could have worked your way up to $10 an hour at least. Its not really quite that bad around here, but close. I have two Bachelor's Degrees, and did a Certificate Program in GIS, and if I wasn't ingenuitive enough to be self employed, then I would be lucky to pull 12 bucks an hour around here.

Ah a bitter truth... I'm probably doing better than a lot of my friends that went to College. But the GF makes a ton of dough she graduated coom lowdee (sp) in a marketing from Cal Poly Pomona.

Why is it that everyone that graduates with a BS/BA expects to start out making $100k a year?

I don't care what industry you start in, you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.

karstic said:
Why is it that everyone that graduates with a BS/BA expects to start out making $100k a year?

I don't care what industry you start in, you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.

When I graduated with my BBA, I didn't expect to make $100k....I only expected to make $50k!

karstic said:

Agreed. It took me a master's degree and 16 years in the field before I hit the 100k mark. I look back on the early days and I swear I had more disposable income when I was just starting out. I think the wife and I were happier too.

If I could give a little advice, make sure you respect what you do and do your absolute best at it. Happiness is not necessarily packaged with salary.

rocknxj said:
Happiness is not necessarily packaged with salary.

Absolutely spot on. I was happier as a bus mechanic driving the tow truck/road service truck at $42K than I was when I became superintendent of maintenance at $86K. Of course, I like being back in the military better than both of those.

Learn a vocation, I did and it pays well. I went to diesel mechanic school 20 years ago, Ive never regretted it.

Or get a nursing degree(RN), my wife went back to college at age 36 and earned her RN and makes killer money.

Between the 2 of us we save a lot of money by fixing stuff ourselves, be it medical or mechanical!

xjtrailrider said:
Learn a vocation, I did and it pays well. I went to diesel mechanic school 20 years ago, Ive never regretted it.

Or get a nursing degree(RN), my wife went back to college at age 36 and earned her RN and makes killer money.

Between the 2 of us we save a lot of money by fixing stuff ourselves, be it medical or mechanical!
My guess is, is that with all the proposed health care reform health care providers wont be making as much money though.

College is the new highschool... :banghead:

Back