• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Twin Turbo AND Supercharged?

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
In the quest for forced induction for the Heep...

I found this:

0006.JPG

story here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2180560

DAyum......

Sure - theoretically possible, but tuning's a pain. It's called "staged forced induction" and I've seen it on "pull" motors. Think: a Diesel, compressing about 22:1, and getting 5atm (73.5psi) boost!

It's also doable with gasoline engines, but actually harder (with Diesels, all you have to worry about is fuel metering - there's no throttle.) You'll put the turbochargers upstream of the supercharger, so that the turbos feed the blower and you'll compress the forced charge still further.

If I had a run stand lying about - and a whole bunch of dosh - I'd play with the arrangement just to see how far I could push it. I don't know if I could push it all the way to 5atm - but it would be fun to crunch the numbers to see what would come out of the flywheel (and to figure out just how hot the charge air would be - feeding a split turbo arrangment into a large Whipple blower...)

5-90

WHY?

Because he can.

yeah - not uncommom in the diesel world

most of our older ferry boats have GM (detriot diesel) 12V71's with blowers AND turbos

Yikes, and I thought I had overheating problems!

RTicUL8 said:
Yikes, and I thought I had overheating problems!

And a tight engine compartment.

Back