• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper bolts

4x4forlife

NAXJA Forum User
ok while i was takin off the rear stock bumper on my 88 i broke some of the 8 bolts. i have already went through about 8 drill bits trying to drill then ez out them. is there any other possible way that you guys know of??

thanks

trevor

4x4forlife said:
ok while i was takin off the rear stock bumper on my 88 i broke some of the 8 bolts. i have already went through about 8 drill bits trying to drill then ez out them. is there any other possible way that you guys know of??

thanks

trevor

propane torch, cool slowly, then drill. just watch out for thing like the gas tank, haha!

Had two break on each side, Was a pain to drill them out. But was the easiest pain for me. After I drilled out the four, I drilled out the rest of the holes and just used 3/8''x 1/2'' bolts on all eight holes.

I second just punching out the weld nuts.

Personally I only did the two outside ones on each side. Four bolts is plenty to hold the tin-foil stock bumper on. Tape the nut into a wrench to make it easy to keep the nut in place while you get the bolt started.

ok guys thanks for the help. well i may just pop out the old ones that way i can upgrade to bigger nuts and bolts at the same time then too. i am not only gonna use like 2 on each side b/c i am replacing the rear bumper with a new one that has 2 tow point on it so i need all the strength i can get.

Thanks again

Trevor

i think i may try that diamond bit depending on cost

4x4forlife said:
ok guys thanks for the help. well i may just pop out the old ones that way i can upgrade to bigger nuts and bolts at the same time then too. i am not only gonna use like 2 on each side b/c i am replacing the rear bumper with a new one that has 2 tow point on it so i need all the strength i can get.

Thanks again

Trevor

i think i may try that diamond bit depending on cost
If you're using the bumper as a tow point then the factory bumper mounts won't be near enough anyway. Any good rear bumper that includes tow points will use the frame rail as the primary mounting points, not the factory bumper bolts.

damn i never really thought about that, mounting points that is. i guess i will have the make up some extra support members that tie the bumper into the rear frame rail.

Thansk

4x4forlife said:
damn i never really thought about that, mounting points that is. i guess i will have the make up some extra support members that tie the bumper into the rear frame rail.

Thansk
Do you currently have a hitch?

4x4forlife said:
no, and i dont have one in the new bumper
Good, go to the dealer and buy the nutstrips that run in the frame rails. These are what you want to run your bumper mounts to. Go ahead, snap off the bumper bolts and use whatever ones are left for extra strength.

Slight hijack here- I have a custom rear bumper that uses only the stock 8 bolts to mount, but it has mounts for 2 shackles. How much do you think this will stand up to a pull? I have yet to even put shackles on it. I have a Hidden Hitch, if I tied the bumper into the mounts for that would that take care of any worries?

dont worry about the hyjack...... i have the same setup bumper were it is only the 8 bolts but know im gonna make up some kind of brackets to ty in with the nut strips made for the hitch

nhrocker said:
Slight hijack here- I have a custom rear bumper that uses only the stock 8 bolts to mount, but it has mounts for 2 shackles. How much do you think this will stand up to a pull? I have yet to even put shackles on it. I have a Hidden Hitch, if I tied the bumper into the mounts for that would that take care of any worries?
Won't hold up to serious pulling. You can tie into the hitch mounts or, better yet, just use the hitch (receiver) as your tow point.

Thanks kid4lyf. I was planning on getting a 2" reciever mount shackle anyway, since my new front bumper has a reciever. So I'll just pick that up and use it on front or rear, depending on where I need it.

Back