• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to do list...

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
well i'm changing my radiator, my clutch fan, upper and lower hose, t-stat and coolant resovoir just curious if there are any tips besides follow my haynes any possible problems not explained????oh yeah and the little heater core valve thing

Careful with the thermostat housing; it's easy to crack the thing. Make sure you get a good thermostat (can't think of the name right now) and that it has a vent hole...or you can drill a small one at 12 o'clock.

If the stock hose "clamps" are still on the hoses, replace them with some good worm-type clamps.

Going to replace the water pump while you're in there? Seems a waste to do everything around it and not do the pump. Just make sure you get the right one - 258cid (4.2L) waterpumps fit as well but the impellers turn the wrong way.

If you are replacing the water pump,the direction of the vanes on the impeller
is very important.
Best bet is to take the old one with you so you can make sure you've got the right one..

thanks for the info i'm not planning on changing the pump is this problomatic in cherokees? if so i will change it out

any tips on refilling the system i've never worked on a closed type system i've heard they have problems with air pockets???

I have heard of two ways to refill the system, first is to remove the temp sensor on the back driverside corner of the head and top it off from there. Helps if the XJ's nose is pointed down a bit. Second is to remove the upper radiator hose from the rad and fill from there. The biggie to make sure you get all the trapped air out is to make sure you put the thermostat in with the small bleed hole on the tstats flange in the 12 O'Clock position.

i was gonna fill it with the top radiator hose like i think you had mentioned in a previous post (yup i'm finally getting to it) i had problems with the stealership ordering me wrong parts and i took your advice and bought the lower hose with the spring in it so thanks for all your help

Back