• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Supercharged LS3 crammed into an XJ

Some photos of the exhaust before it goes in

The camaro cats

c7a61887d9f01a9b98f9fd360c434a5b.jpg

Drivers side. This side is very tight! Not sure how the exhaust shop is going to make it work but they have done impressive work for me in the past and will pull through.
b3637222ff7b26d354c5c97b49ce9726.jpg

Passenger side looks easy
37f510df185b978dbca00abdf0184f19.jpg

Once I get the exhaust done I will be able to drive it on the street without fear of a life sentence from the California air resources board. Then I can get you guys some video of it. I guess I will put it on YouTube and link to it from here. Unless some of you know how to post videos on here. I have been using Tapatalk and it will not allow videos.

For reasons that I can not explain my tachometer started working yesterday. It has been dead the whole time. I ran the GM crank and cam position sensor data into a module from Novak that translates it into Jeep then feeds the XJ ecu and eventually the tach in the dash. It has not been working and I couldn’t figure out why. I did all the troubleshooting, checked all my wires, called Novak and even talked to the inventor of the device. He supposed it was a defective module and sent me a new one. Well, yesterday after a blip on the throttle I actually saw the tach come to life. Makes no sense at all. But now it works just fine. I guess like many things it just needed a little motivation to get moving. When the new one arrives I will send it back and try to talk with the inventor again to see if he has any idea why this would have happened.

Is the tach a stepper motor?

I ask because I have had similar symptoms with the speedometer on my '02 Chevy 2500HD. At least twice I have reinstalled the battery after having it disconnected for a period of weeks or months and had the speedometer needle jump all the way around to the pin and just stay there. It stays there until I drive the truck around the block. Then all of a sudden it finds its mind and jumps to where it belongs and behaves just fine.

I don't know if it is a GM thing or a stepper motor thing or what. I have never dug into it because it has resolved itself.

I mention it because it might be a useful tidbit to add to the picture when you talk to the guy who created this module. Someone who is smarter than me might be able to connect some dots and save some angst for the next guy.

For reasons that I can not explain my tachometer started working yesterday. It has been dead the whole time. I ran the GM crank and cam position sensor data into a module from Novak that translates it into Jeep then feeds the XJ ecu and eventually the tach in the dash. It has not been working and I couldn’t figure out why. I did all the troubleshooting, checked all my wires, called Novak and even talked to the inventor of the device. He supposed it was a defective module and sent me a new one. Well, yesterday after a blip on the throttle I actually saw the tach come to life. Makes no sense at all. But now it works just fine. I guess like many things it just needed a little motivation to get moving. When the new one arrives I will send it back and try to talk with the inventor again to see if he has any idea why this would have happened.

Does the Novak unit connect to the GM ECM's CAN bus or does it go right to the sensors on the engine?

Is the tach a stepper motor?

I ask because I have had similar symptoms with the speedometer on my '02 Chevy 2500HD. At least twice I have reinstalled the battery after having it disconnected for a period of weeks or months and had the speedometer needle jump all the way around to the pin and just stay there. It stays there until I drive the truck around the block. Then all of a sudden it finds its mind and jumps to where it belongs and behaves just fine.

I don't know if it is a GM thing or a stepper motor thing or what. I have never dug into it because it has resolved itself.

I mention it because it might be a useful tidbit to add to the picture when you talk to the guy who created this module. Someone who is smarter than me might be able to connect some dots and save some angst for the next guy.

I don’t know what type of motor the gauges use, but the motion on all of them is nice and smooth and the cluster will perform and pass a self test no problem.

The unit takes only one wire from the GM ecm so it couldn’t be CAN bus but not directly from the sensor either.

It must be using the tach output on pin black/48 then? That's a pretty basic circuit, but I don't know what's in the Novak box. It needs a pullup resistor on the input to the box, and somewhere the chrysler bus needs a terminating resistor or two depending. But you said you never removed any modules from the Jeep at all, yes? Just thinking out loud.

Normally the tach output is turned off in the tune, was that changed?

It must be using the tach output on pin black/48 then? That's a pretty basic circuit, but I don't know what's in the Novak box. It needs a pullup resistor on the input to the box, and somewhere the chrysler bus needs a terminating resistor or two depending. But you said you never removed any modules from the Jeep at all, yes? Just thinking out loud.

Normally the tach output is turned off in the tune, was that changed?

You are correct, the module takes the signal from the GM pcm from pin 48.
Didn’t remove any of the bud modules from the Jeep other than the transmission control module, and they are all working and the Tcm was out before and after the tach started working. Mystery to me but a happy accident I suppose.

Got some work done on the intake and the intercooler.

The intercooler reservoir

724f61f7e7872a2e2b7b8ce424f95c97.jpg

All mounted
598f74d371314d9ef031ff0311cdd09c.jpg

From the bottom, here you can see the three radiator fans as well.
b95dd55d4deb7f525426adf6a8ff9a97.jpg

Bracket welded on and painted. Speed holes cut
55e1855b8f359d0b408f512ea4f2b986.jpg

c4b285a84df1f21b6145473271f0063a.jpg

eeea4cc54ad422da8d65b2318678a15b.jpg

2a630313ae103f2305285bcba0415ccf.jpg

d961db28641bcf2c98a520fc1d23af32.jpg

8aaa587edcd89b69a168a4b14095be03.jpg

Intake finished. The filter from the camaro was too wide to fit under my future hood. I cut a chunk out of it for the MAF sensor adapter.
a96808e48144c86d7e72ce2b4cce78ba.jpg

Thi inside of the pipe with the breather valve.
e2835f255875105247d171fe0d665aed.jpg

Breather valve.
2182e9b7a6c57c6d8fbb9af5f9af1f46.jpg

Jeep is running amazing. Wanted to get the exhaust today but ran out of time. Will try again Monday.

That's impressive! I bet it's plum scary when you actually get on it. Awesome detailed work!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's impressive! I bet it's plum scary when you actually get on it. Awesome detailed work!

Thanks!
It is frightening. It feels like your are doing a wheelie at 30% throttle. I have been restricted to my street out of fear of the California air resource board nazis that inhabit SoCal. Hopefully I can get the exhaust on next week then I can flog without fear.

Yeahhhhh I don't know how y'all handle that cali stuff... This simple southern boy needs to be left alone when it comes to that business lol

After much ass pain with the uhaul corporate office I was able to get a trailer and load up skruffy for the trip over to the exhaust shop.
The owner did my exhaust for this Jeep once before a few years ago when I upgraded to a rear long arm so I know he is in good hands. The guy says I will have it back by Wednesday. Can’t wait!

What are you doing for mufflers and stuff? Cats, I assume? I have to figure mine out soon because I don't want a loud exhaust on it. I have a G8 with a TVS2300 on it and other goodies and it's hard to keep it quiet.

I'm very interested in what your exhaust man does for your muffler(s). I'm on version 8 of my exhaust system with the Clayton rear coils.

I have always had to find a balance between noise levels and off-road protection. I managed to get it quiet enough to hopefully pass inspection next year. My single 16" long DynoMax muffler is located in the rear quarter where the leaf spring shackle used to be. It doesn't intrude into the wheel well but it is below the bumper line and vulnerable to being crushed from below. I might have to make a skid plate for it that ties into the bumper and fuel tank skid. I will see how it goes. I could be on version 9 next year.

If you are looking for a muffler that is built strong I can highly recommend the Hooker Aerochamber. Those are one tough built muffler. As to their noise level, that is a bit more subjective. I would say they are quieter than Flowmasters, but not as quiet as a turbo style muffler.

What are you doing for mufflers and stuff? Cats, I assume? I have to figure mine out soon because I don't want a loud exhaust on it. I have a G8 with a TVS2300 on it and other goodies and it's hard to keep it quiet.

All four cats from the camaro are going in, the muffler will be tough because of the limitations on space due to the longarms in the rear.
To be honest my knowledge of exhaust systems is very limited. I basically asked the shop to make it as quiet as possible considering the space restriction and needed flow rate, and am not terribly concerned with what that ends up being so long as it works. When it is finished I will take some photos of the final setup.

Dig it! Subd for updates

Back