• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I Learned.....

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
on this year's trip.

Wear Sun Screen even if you are just going into town to get lit.

P7280002.jpg

DAH!!!! Holybalz...... warn a guy would ya?

:D

Looks like sun block was needed as well.

1) The San Juans are friggin' amazing - every time I go.

2) Fuel cells aren't for everyone.

3) BLoose REALLY needs to find that damn tie rod fire poker.

4) It really was fun re-learning to wheel without lockers on stock gears - back to basics - recalling forgotten skills. :thumbup:

5) Newer stock F-150's make great "rock sleds".

6) Guys in Tacomas that go full throttle at an obstacle with a dog in the pickup bed need a serious beat down and their dog adopted away. :mad:

7) Chuck Wagon truck tents FTW! :D

8) Slow leaking air mattress FTL. (n)

9) DJ is one lucky SOB regardless of his busted locker.....

10) Justin and Jeff did an awesome job with the event in spite of a particular GC host and the weather. Nice going boys! :yelclap:

11) I still don't care for MTR's.

12) Old men wearing slacks, black socks and an '80's era helmet can still be impressive operating an ATV.

13) Small town trust and hospitality is still alive. Big thanks to Silverton City Hall and Anita for letting me use her city computer to get in touch with a sponsor! :thumbup:

14) When BLoose has a moment of brilliance, he does it big..... post to follow soon.

15) Manifold cooking rocks! And having a spouse that'll still cook ya grilled chicken, sautee'd mushrooms, sweet corn and pasta for you after a long day on the trail and having smacked her head getting into the XJ rocks even more! Thanks kiddo!

2) Even if you can't wheel, you can always drink with Led.

3) The stretch of Hwy 50 outside of Montrose does not like me (proven twice)

4) They might be your favorite trails, but you'll never actually get to wheel them

5) Mtard earns his name about every 30 minutes

6) Everyone hits the sack immediately after Led

7) Bob's bus rocks when it's raining outside

8) "Sometimes it's a group site, sometimes it's a river bed"

9) Three XJs on 35s can make one Wrangler on 42s look like a powerwheel

10) You can always count on your friends to make sure you get home

1. Friends are still friends, regardless of what you happen to be driving this year. :cheers:
2. Your wife's eyes can get bigger than 35" MT/Rs when you lift the front end off the ground.:scared:
3. A good spotter is invaluable at times like this.:worship:
4. There are several things an XJ can do better than a SWB Jeep.
5. Rain WILL find it's way in, given enough soaking.
6. Not really a new thing, but the San Juans never cease to amaze me with their beauty and variety.

1. High mountain shelf roads don't bother me anymore.
2. The scenery in the San Juan Mountains is simply incredible.
3. If you're ever in Silverton be sure to eat at Romero's........ yummmmmy.
4. After trudging around the mountains of Colorado, literally all my life, I FINALLY saw
a bear in the wild.
5. Even though the event was smaller than usual you just cant beat good times with
good friends.
6. The smug is very thick in the town of Telluride.
7. Despite many set-backs and hoops to jump through, the event ended up turning out
great.Knowing everyone had a good time made it all worth it.
8. The clock tower in Silverton can be mistaKen for cemetary bells.:laugh:
9. I can send my wife out on a solo run (her first) in my rig and have it returned in one
piece.
10. I guess I'm getting better at spotting.
11. D.J.'s forehead swells up like Frankenstein when sunburned.
12. Next year- Back in Buena Vista, can't wait.

Last edited:
1. The first night I was waiting for someone to yell "bring out your dead"
2. Justin does have very good negotiation skills.
3. Jeff and Justin did a fine job organizing the event.
4. It's nice to win things in the raffle.
5. Stock XJ's wheel fairly well.
6. Ear plugs work great when Tom sets up his tent near you, or when people are hanging out at the fire after you go to bed.
7. Beaver's slapping their tails in the pond sound just like large rocks being thrown into the pond.
8. Romero's has awesome food.
9. Don't be near the end of the pack while driving down dusty dirt roads.
10. Silverton is a great place to visit, but I would not want to live there.

1. I still want to live in Silverton.
2. Atvs and 3 dogs wearing goggles are not a good combo while being driven up a sketchy hill .
3. I need lockers.
4. I need bumpstops.
5. The views in the San Juans are gorgeous even when they're in the clouds.
6. Elk and deer like to hang out in the middle of the road when I'm driving at night.
7. There are 2 places in Silverton which are worth the trip, Romeros for food and the Brewery for some delicious porter.
8. My dog isn't really a fan of four wheeling.
9. A lot of new names and faces, all which were friendly and helpful. Thanks guys for everything!

1.DJ can hang during the day... but don't expect him to start drinking again that night
2.Not bringing a rig sucks almost as bad as breaking it
3.Silverton is at 9000 plus feet dress warm
4.MT has alot to learn... but is learning
5.skid plate o-death likes bridges
6.Justin has way more control than me... I woulda decked him
7.Troy will never let me see him drunk

1) Even if you think you have enough fuel fill the tank.
2) People on ATVs have a death wish.
3) Romero's is awsome.
4) Rusty's makes a front skid plate that will try to kill you.
5) It is good to have a line disconnect tool for the transmission cooler line. Right Troy...
6) DJ is the one lucky guy.
7) Even if you bring a tow rig and trailer your Jeep might not be the one getting towed on it.
8) I have a lot to learn still.

1 truck and trailer run better at 62 psi in the tires as opposed to 52.
2 diesel truck pulls better at 2100 than 2500 rpm and saves a ton of fuel.
3 boring out the throttle body is a great mod.
4 I need to stop worring about every noise my XJ makes.
5 A built XJ drives and wheels better than a streched CJ.
6 I can actually tolerate Mexican food if it's really good mexican food.
7 Moutain shelf roads arn't scary after a while.
8 I miss 6 psi when wheeling so I'm buying stuan bead locks if I can find a good dealer that has experiance installing them correctly. Any sugestions?

Caged94XJ said:
7) Even if you bring a tow rig and trailer your Jeep might not be the one getting towed on it.
get used to it

1) Event may have been smaller than usual but for sure every one who made it was cool and it was great to see you all again.
2) Joe Furlong has the magical power of disappearing without a trace around a campfire.
3) Led is just waiting for the day when poor Joey forgets to do his disappearing act and falls asleep at the camp fire and is out enough that he can draw on him with a sharpie.
4) Its fun watching a guy who is used to being locked and on 35's try to wheel open on 33's.
5) I will ALWAY have some sort of break down in Nebraska
5b) Never think to yourself you’re making good time on your trip until Nebraska is well behind you.
6) If you have to break down Nebraska is the place for it to happen, people are great, and land is flat so you are least likely to die from said breakdown.
7) A bus is very hard to stop in an emergency situation.
8) Stopping said bus when a hydraulic line breaks at 65 mph isn't going to happen so you better come up with a plan B very fast!
9) If you’re going to buy a Skooly to tow your junk don't get it from a state that has snow and uses salt!
10) If you think you've replaced all of your brake lines have someone else look because you may just miss one.
11) My family definitely has a guardian angel watching over us; thank you and please don't stop!
12) After a brake failure, driving hyw 550 at night into Silverton is as scary as it can get.
13) When you’re scarred of driving at night on mountainous roads after a brake failure acting like it's no big deal so your wife doesn't have heart failure takes a lot of self control!
14) Hyw 550 is scary as hell in something bigger than a Honda, day or night!
15) Driving a bus cross country with Fuel over $3 per gallon is really rough on the pocket book.
16) Yet again I have yet to be to a NAXJA even that wasn't fun!
17) I'd like to know who the heck has my fire poker!
18) Drunk people should be allowed to chop fire wood, especially in sandals.
19) When a sign says "watch for falling rocks" watch for falling rocks, it actually does happen.
20) Shari can cook not matter where she goes.
21) My Jeep only breaks in Attica!
22) If you tow someone up the mountain you'll get some really good beer.
23) Air horns are no substitute for a good head gasket.
24) Dogs from Georgia love snow of freezing cold water.

And a ton more I'm sure.

Thanks for a great time guys. It really was great to see you all again!

B

Bloose said:
4) Its fun watching a guy who is used to being locked and on 35's try to wheel open on 33's.

Whaddya mean "try to wheel"? .......... punk.
fawkdance.gif

Bloose said:
23) Air horns are no substitute for a good head gasket.

Now that's funny right there! :D

Back