• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axle swap/build

One thing I’m thinking of is clearance between that track bar bracket and your drag link at full lock. Are you reusing stock knuckles? Maybe loosely mock the passenger side knuckle up and see if there will be obvious interference issues at full lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good, I’ll try that next time I get a chance to work on them.

Got the ball joints in the knuckles today and see how things would fit. Happy to say that the track bar bracket will fit outside the spring perch without the steering coming in contact. It’s a bit of a tight fit but it will do. Got the TB bracket and both spring perches burned in too.
8cb04b3b07a3ca9381ad59a85505ba6d.jpg

Thank you both! It’s slow going but it’s a lot of fun. Need to add upper/lower control arm brackets and shock mounts then I think I’ll be pretty close to done with the front axle.

For those of you who have done leaf spring mounts on a clean axle, any advice on getting pinion axle right and keeping the spring mounts square?

Maybe I missed it, but which track bar mount is that?

Thank you both! It’s slow going but it’s a lot of fun. Need to add upper/lower control arm brackets and shock mounts then I think I’ll be pretty close to done with the front axle.

For those of you who have done leaf spring mounts on a clean axle, any advice on getting pinion axle right and keeping the spring mounts square?

When I did my rear swap I just bolted everything together pretty snug, put the Jeep on its own weight, and rotated the pinion up with the jack until I was satisfied. Tack in place, remove, and burn it home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When I did my rear swap I just bolted everything together pretty snug, put the Jeep on its own weight, and rotated the pinion up with the jack until I was satisfied. Tack in place, remove, and burn it home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This. Just make sure the axle is centered and everything is where you want it to be before tacking the spring perches in place.

This. Just make sure the axle is centered and everything is where you want it to be before tacking the spring perches in place.

This but I probably would not even pull the axle back out. Tack both sides of each perch, pull a u-bolt, burn it in, re-bolt, repeat.

Thank you all for the great advice, I was hoping I could get everything welded on before I tear the Jeep apart haha, guess not. But doing things the right way is worth the extra time/wait.

I mean they don’t fit them up under the car at the factory so it can definitely be done on the bench. As long as you are happy with your existing pinion angle or know where your happy spot will be, and can measure the corresponding spring perch angle (it might not be exactly level), some careful measurements off the backing plates to get the perches evenly spaced and the right distance apart.

I mean they don’t fit them up under the car at the factory so it can definitely be done on the bench. As long as you are happy with your existing pinion angle or know where your happy spot will be, and can measure the corresponding spring perch angle (it might not be exactly level), some careful measurements off the backing plates to get the perches evenly spaced and the right distance apart.

I took a measurement off the rear driveline and got 12 degrees. I was thinking if I put the pinion at 12 degrees on the ‘new’ axle and put the spring perches level that would do it. But after thinking about what you said, if I did the same but matched the angle of the current spring perches it would work pretty well. And I would make sure the perches would be spaced correctly L/R.

c4950b1c567a7992b8750128c38800e6.jpg

Have done much on the XJ lately but got some kayaks from a friend that will make summer a bit more bearable. Probably won’t get much done for a while since my daughter was born a week ago Wednesday. I’m planning of doing 6-8 weeks of paternity leave starting in July so I’m hoping I might be able to get it mostly done then.

Congrats Doc! That's awesome to hear. I hear ya on the kayaks, I hopped in one a while ago for the first time and now I want one!

Congrats Doc! That's awesome to hear. I hear ya on the kayaks, I hopped in one a while ago for the first time and now I want one!

Thank you! It’s pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

Had to tear my tcase down again because the chain was skipping teeth, so I ordered a new chain and sprockets. Pulled it apart and found the range fork almost totally worn out after about 1000-1500 miles on the new one. I’m not sure what’s causing the range forks to wear out so quickly. If anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Back