• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front tube bumper with winch behind the crossmember

nice bumpers! I've been looking for a while to find a rear one like yours, I realy like that design.

I'd seriously consider reworking the rear bumper mounts to grab the nutsert holes that the factory hitch mount uses.

The factory bumpre mount holes are pretty flimsy, even with the tie ins to the side of the frame I could see it being an issue during a hard recovery.
If the center bumper mounts give I think you'd taco the side tie ins and do a whole lot of messy damage to the rear of the "frame"

It's a rocking job overall, I really like the hidden winch. Any worries about having it mounted like that? IIRC there was a special winch for the factory job that was designed to live upside down.

Any worries about having it mounted like that? IIRC there was a special winch for the factory job that was designed to live upside down.

I've been running mine like this since November 2007. Having the winch feet forward isn't an issue at all, and these winches are just packed with grease anyway so lube isn't a concern.

You can still get the steering box down with the winch in place; it's a pain and takes some creative shuffling (and you best hope all the fluid is drained before you attempt it) but it can be done.

NICE! Definitely like the hidden winch.
One question though, Have you had any issues with your syn. line coming to close to the pulley?

I have 80 feet of synth rope on mine. The rope itself isn't a problem; the protective sheath on the last ~4 feet of it can be though. You just need to make sure it wraps evenly across the drum.

I'd seriously consider reworking the rear bumper mounts to grab the nutsert holes that the factory hitch mount uses.

The factory bumpre mount holes are pretty flimsy, even with the tie ins to the side of the frame I could see it being an issue during a hard recovery.
If the center bumper mounts give I think you'd taco the side tie ins and do a whole lot of messy damage to the rear of the "frame"

It's a rocking job overall, I really like the hidden winch. Any worries about having it mounted like that? IIRC there was a special winch for the factory job that was designed to live upside down.

It does use the nutsert holes. In the picture below, the piece of 3/16" flat on the bottom (that is attached to the gusset) continues inside the frame rail on the top and uses 4 of the hitch bolts on each side. They go up from the bottom into nuts that I welded onto the flat.

DSC02016.jpg

NICE! Definitely like the hidden winch.
One question though, Have you had any issues with your syn. line coming to close to the pulley?

Ive only used my winch once so far, yesterday wheeling, and didn't have any problems. Vetteboy has had his like this for a long time now so his answer would probably be better.

FWIW, I have 85 feet of 3/8" Masterpull Superline XD on mine, and as long as it is spooled pretty evenly it has plenty of room.

...as long as it is spooled pretty evenly it has plenty of room.

That's the key.

My parts rig came with a Warn M8000 tucked inside the ARB bullbar. (Mounted feet forward, like yours, though that's not the point.)

The way it was hidden in there, there was no way to spool it neatly. It was a HORRIFIC birdsnest when I pulled it out.

Yours has the three round holes above it that I assume are to let you spool it better. The ARB hid it completely away.

Again, great work on yours!

Robert

It does use the nutsert holes. In the picture below, the piece of 3/16" flat on the bottom (that is attached to the gusset) continues inside the frame rail on the top and uses 4 of the hitch bolts on each side. They go up from the bottom into nuts that I welded onto the flat.

DSC02016.jpg

I didn't/couldn't se that.
Given that info I'd say that it should be plenty strong.
Very nice work.

what did you do about a fan setup? ive done a plate over my crossmeber with the same winch but my JCR bumper is getting modded a little and going right back on. the clutch fan hits the winch so i needed to remove it.. and by the look of it you did too? im trying to find a solution to my fan issue now but cant seem to find ANY info on what everyone whos done a winch like this has done..

wicked build, this is EXACTLY what I was wanting to do. Why can't mfg's just offer tight fitting bumpers like this. I'm sure I'll be reflecting on these pictures after I get my bender built. I can't wait to bend some sh*t!!

Nice build. Really helps put me at easy knowing I could put a which completely behind the cross member.

I'm also curious about the tubing. I've read most people use 1.75" DOM tubing but with what thickness have people used and still been able to beat it without damaging? My dad got a bender for his shop and I only want to go with tube bumpers if I can bend it. I want to make sure I can go with a strong enough tubing that I can also work with. I think he said it is a 20 ton bender.

Thanks for the write up.

No, it all mounts below that.

Maybe I missadd what winch the OP mounted but theres no way my harbor freight 9000# will fit back there. It's too wide (hits steering box) and too deep, doesnt clear the crank pulley by about ⅛" and doesn't clear the fan shroud at all... damn

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back