• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame stiffners

stuckinice

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading that when u weld the frame stiffiners to the unibody that it creates a weak point at the welds and that over time with flex they start to crack the unibody?I'm gettin ready to buy them and i dont wont to if its going to crack it.

i believe there was a thread about this earlier this week. go back a few pages and you might find it.

edit,
oops, read it wrong, that thread was about welding to the unibody.

Last edited:
Use plug/rosette welds and then stitch weld the edges. My understanding is, keep the heat as low as possible to not create weak point, but high enough to penetrate.

Welding just creates weaker (but not necessarily "weak") points.... it's the heat tempering the metal. If you weld it up right, you shouldn't have a problem though. it shouldn't make it so weak that it is prone to breaking.

Let the welds cool on their own as well. DON'T use water or wet rags to cool down each stitch weld. This causes the metal to become more brittle, rather than flexible.

DanMan2k06 said:
Let the welds cool on their own as well. DON'T use water or wet rags to cool down each stitch weld. This causes the metal to become more brittle, rather than flexible.

Yes, exactly. I don't know why I didn't say that.....

tayman beat me too it again.

Hehe, I win!:moon:

sounds good. I'll probably add some frame stiffeners at some point in my XJ's life...

Back