• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#2 Fuel Injector Plug

4x4fish

NAXJA Forum User
My #2 fuel injector plug is bad, it comes right off with an easy pull. The other 5 are all on snug. My mechanic made me aware of this, he says my jeep is running on 5 cylinders. I figure with this busted plug too much gas is being let into the #2 cylinder cuasing the jeep to misfire. Any ideas or corrections? How easy is it to fix/replace this plug? Can I get one at a pick your Part? Thanks, Matt (94' xj auto I6 4x4)

is the plug actually busted, or is the metal retaining clip just missing. compare it very very very very very very very carefully to the other plugs and make sure ur not just missing a piece. i've seen that happen way to many times.

other than that, yeah if you do the wiring as clean as possible, you can just go get yourself another plug and splice it in. you might even be able to get a replacement plug from napa, but you would have to most likely order it. otherwise often times the dealer can also get replacement "pig tails", and they're not really to expensive.

You should be able to get a replacement pigtail (plug w/leads, about 6" worth) from the HELP! section at the local. I've seen them there, anyhow (and the XJ uses fairly standard Bosch injectors, which were used on all of the other "Big 3" vehicles as well for a number of years.)

Two cuts, two crimps, and yer done! But I do concur with checking for the missing spring wire (it's just a silverish wire around the plug, right near the open end...) since having that go missing can cause the sort of trouble you're having. If that's the case, a zip-tie will hold the thing down, and you're good (I did that as a "limp-around" fix for one of my son's Neons - and we didn't remember to fix it for about six months. Still took only five minutes to fix when we did remember, tho...)

scorpio_vette said:
is the plug actually busted, or is the metal retaining clip just missing. compare it very very very very very very very carefully to the other plugs and make sure ur not just missing a piece. i've seen that happen way to many times.

other than that, yeah if you do the wiring as clean as possible, you can just go get yourself another plug and splice it in. you might even be able to get a replacement plug from napa, but you would have to most likely order it. otherwise often times the dealer can also get replacement "pig tails", and they're not really to expensive.
I'm pretty sure it is the metal retaining clip, I'll have to take a better look tomarow after noon. I think this is it becase the plug slips right off, the others don't. Thanks, Matt

Back