• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 solenoid help?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping a (94) AW4 in place of my 5 speed, going to run it without a computer, shifted electronically. I know how I need to wire the 3 solenoids, but I just need to figure out which is which. I looked through the AW4 FSM available online and it showed within the valvebody where the solenoids are, but not where the wires enter the tranny.

in this picture, the red circle shows the speed sensor, I don't know what the blue circle shows, this is my best guess for the solenoids
511942_5_full.jpg

In this picture, the green circle shows the last electrical connection, there are lots of wires and I suspect this is lots of sensor outputs (which I don't need) and not the Solenoid inputs
511942_6_full.jpg

If you know how to determine which of the 3 Solenoids is which, that would be awesome! but even if I just figure out which 3 wires, I can figure it out from there by process of elimination.

thanks!

green circle is your NSS....

blue circle is the solinoid wires.

foreward of that is obviously the tv linkage, and yes, the red circle is the speed sensor.

hey, thanks a ton Beezil! you wouldn't happen to know if the wires there are color coded to which solenoid? I know they are at the TCU, but I'm not sure if those colors go all the way to the tranny, as there are some intermediate connectors.

mad maXJ said:
hey, thanks a ton Beezil! you wouldn't happen to know if the wires there are color coded to which solenoid? I know they are at the TCU, but I'm not sure if those colors go all the way to the tranny, as there are some intermediate connectors.

that I cannot tell you....

FSM is at work....

if you still need the info on monday, I could look it up.

question

i am wanting to do the same thing in my comanche and i was wondering the list of parts needed to complete the swap, and how are you planing to shift non electrical,
thanks for the help

zach

rolz, if you look on this board, theres another thread that contains a link.

that link will answers pretty much everything you need to know!

its a link to a write up where a guy swapped in an aw4 in a tj IIRC

Back