• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick disconnect doors

you gotta unbolt the hinges to get the doors off the first time, then cut off the lower part like so.

ive found a small torx impact driver bit (the 1/4 shortys ones youd use in an impact driver, sears.), pressed into an appropriately sized nut, in a wratcheting open end wrench give you the low profile you need to get to the bolts. you can do eet. dont use a cheap torx bit. the holes in the backside of the hinge are for alignment, or you could replace the torx bolts with hex heads for later ease of adjustment using a regular wratcheting open end.

Also don't expect your door to function in the same way it does now! What I mean is it might sag or not line up perfectly! It's not my daily driver so the function of the door does not matter as much to me. This can be done with the door on if you have a dremel tool. There is just enough room to get in there and cut. That way it help with alignment cause you didn't remove any of the hinges!

i am FAR from an autobody man, my fenders show it... however if you think adjusting a door is beyond you, YEAH, stay out of the shop. as i mentioned, theres 2 holes in the backside of the hinges that make re-alignment a BREEZE.... tighten down the 2 torx bolts you can get thru the hole, ignoring the 3rd bolt untill everythings good.

and i wouldnt worry about sag unless youve got a 2door..... in which case, your hinges probably need to be welded allready anyways...

It's not beyond me just not easy especially by yourself as I did. I've only did it once so it was a learning experience. By the way hex bolts are the way to go. Wish I could have thought of your tool design! Would have definitely made a difference

On earlier XJ's you will need to knock the pin out and flip it over in the hinge. My passenger side hinges were upside down compared to the driver's side. I would also shorten them up just a little. Makes getting the door back on easier as you do not have to lift it as much. I even went a little farther and made the lower pin about 3/8's of an inch shorter than the upper so I can get one started then the other.

As far as sag, the auto chain stores sell some brass bushings for other vehicles, I was thinking I would drill my hinges out to accept a little larger pin, then counterbore the top holes to accept the bushing for that pin.

Back