• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another idea for a supercharger

blakews2217

NAXJA Forum User
Supercharger, tornado maker, blower, call it what you want, I wanna do one. Since I do work in a machine shop I’ll make my own adapter or even a whole new manifold hopefully solving the issue of cutting the hood. I don’t want to do drop motor mounts or cross member drop bracket. I’ll be documenting the whole thing here and on google drive, using google for the source and library of pictures, videos, documents and updates on how everything works. I’m currently rebuilding my stroker motor ( slowly. I’m 19 and bring home 11 bucks an hour. ) and will see about making it a little more tolerable to boost. I’m only aiming for 3-7 lbs so I shouldn’t need anything super fancy. As for fuel and ignition I may use the AEM FI6 or use the two arduino uno micro controllers I have. I’ll look into a way to change the base timing as well. If all works as intended, I may try to produce the manifold idea for anyone with a 4.0 or whoever wants one. I’ll try to do it cheep. Let’s see what you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you realize the time and money that goes into something like this!

I have a under the hood supercharger kit out in the garage.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157663342067420/

It was built for a close friend's XJ, who unexpectedly died just before the install. I bought the entire engine from his estate.
Not wanting the complexity of a SC in a back-country Jeep, the engine was significantly changed and now resides in my 2001 XJ.

got a charger in mind? eaton m90's seem plentiful

M90 is good, there is a place that makes a kit that uses a different intake so it clears the hood

That’s what I was looking at. Now for a 3rd gen or 4th gen.

As for the time and money, it probably won’t happen yet and won’t for a while. I’m using what I have access to to be able to say “ yea. I made it”. I love seeing people’s faces when they honestly expect a name brand

All I have is weekends to work on the thing and sometimes not even that. Damn how life can get in the way of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who needs a hood?

Been there, done it, documented on NAXJA. No new manifold, kept the A/C, and it all fit under the hood. It's super fun when it works, a PITA when it doesn't. Lots of gotchas, and always 2x-3x how much you think it will cost if you are building from scratch. The M90 is by far a better option for the 4.0 over an M60. If you listen to no other advice, if you are using a used blower then _get_it_completely_rebuilt_. My original M90 is a pile of scrap metal in the corner because the seals leaked and the main bearings died.

I'm generally not a fan of the Rimmer kits, but I think the newest one with a few changes actually has good potential.

Back