• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ 4.0 rebuild: issues and weirdness

That's bizarre. I've poured over the 1994-96, 1997-99, and 2000-01 parts manuals and all of them list exactly the same cover: part #53020222. Is it really necessary on a 4.0, or is it a 4.2-ism?

I'm finally buttoning the engine up, and went with a 1999-down (maybe 98-?) non-retainer-plate style cam. My timing cover has the button in the center, and I have the correct retaining bolt, washer, pin, spring, etc, being used with a Rollermaster double-roller chain.

Now, the question: since the new cam doesn't use the old retainer plate bolt holes, I effectively have 2 more oil passages into the timing area. Should I plug said holes with the bolts used with the original cam's retainer plate? Or not worry about it since the bottom of the timing area is open to the front of the oil pan anyway?

Back