• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seeking Old Man Emu advice

coloradojer

NAXJA Forum User
My 92 XJ is going to get an OME suspension. Besides replacing shocks, I don't have any experience with replacing suspensions, so before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear some of the board's advice.

This XJ is my daily driver. I'm thinking medium springs and leafs, OME shocks, 30x9.50 tires on stock rims.

I'd especially like to hear from any of you that have an OME suspension. Any 'Gotchas' I should watch out for? Special tools I will need? Do you recommend/not recommend a particular vendor? Anything else I should be considering doing at the same time as the lift?

Thanks. (This is my first post, please let me know if this is not appropriate.)

Jer

karstic said:
If you're planning on running anykind of loads, look into the HD kit.

What he said times a billion. Also, you may want to upgrade to the ZJ V8 coils in the front if you're going this route, particularly if you intend on installing a heavier bumper and/or winch at a later date. If you're willing to sacrifice some (but not much) ride quality as well, I'd also recommend the AAL for the rear spring pack if you tow or carry heavy loads. VERY glad that I decided to go this way with mine.

Thanks, Karstic, for the search help. (I did a search on 'Old Man Emu' and 'OME' and didn't find anything.)

I'm not planning on a winch or bull bar, but I am considering better bumpers front and back. Would they be enough to justify the HD kit? How does the HD kit ride when the Jeep is unloaded? Should I go with the HD kit just so I can drive 4 adults around?

Thanks again.

I would get the OME HD rears and med. fronts, then add some budget boost 2" spacers on the front and that will give you about 3" lift front/rear.

I'm running HD OME rear with TeraFlex 1.5 shackles, and MD OME fronts with JKS ACOS(adjustable coil-over spacers). This combo gives me 4" lift.

Also get the Nitrocharger ext. shocks. They are for 3-5" of lift. I've done other suspension mods also but this is the basic components you will need for the lift. The HD springs ride and handle well and will not sag for a long time.

Here is a pic.
jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

Thanks! Your rig looks great! I've been wondering about using ACOS - they sure seem like a smart idea - I just didn't know if the minimum 1.25" they add would be too much.

Jer

I've got 3/4" inch adjusted in with the min. 1.25

Right now I have a heavy Manik brush guard(about 80#'s) on there that I can't wait to get rid of and build some real front protection.
96xjsg2.jpg

Back