• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home-maid Rocker/sliders

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
My rockers in my xj rusted out a long time ago and about a year ago i cut them out, grinded down the inside surfaces where the rockers were painted over the bare metal. here is a picture of what it looked like before i cleaned it up.
20lav6

I still have not replaced them, and I was thinking about welding some rectangular tubing in place of the rockers to be used as rock sliders. How does everyone think this will hold up? Will it be strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle just welded to the metal surrounding (pinch weld and where the top of the rockers should be) , or will it be bend up and push into the bottom of my doors? Any opinions on the tubing i should use or the way i should mount them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a very rough drawing i just made in paint to give an idea of what im thinking. I would put some tubing coming off the rocker/slider so that i will be able to pivot arount rocks without using the bottom of the door as my pivot point. I was thinking maybe use square rubing here aslo so i coulg use a high lift jack on it.
20le36

-Tim

Try a search, quite a few people have replaced their rockers with similar ideas.

Try Mad XJ as well, they have 3 really good write ups for 3 different levels of rocker replacement. A few other sites have them as well.

MadXJ.com (technical, then rocker panels) and Pirate4x4.com: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/rockers/rockers.htm have some good info on this type of project, I myself combined the info from both of them and made up my own rocker/sliders. I think a search here will yeild some results too. I used 3/16 2x4 square tube, set the edge out about an 1" from the body, and used 1 1/2 angle to make up the difference from the pinch seam to the tube. Have slid and pivoted on many a rock without a complaint yet.

i had the same problem and am i the middle of making some of these right now. With the old rockers cut out, 4x4 steel tubing fits nicely up into the space. im bolting it in through the pinch seam, welding it along the upper seam, and added 2x2 crossrails welded to 6" long pieces of 4x4 angle iron that wrap around the frame rails. These things are REALLY sturdy. when im done ill take pics if u like.
I originally adapted the design from mesa4x4.com i think.

good luck

pat

Back