• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch power lock will unlock, but not lock...

jonathanc

NAXJA Forum User
The lock actuator/motor thing, is it tough to replace and is it expensive ? Perhaps it's just the mechanism, needs some grease or something.

It's a 98 Cherokee with power locks. When I hit the switch to unlock everything, everything unlocks, but in order to get the hatch to lock, I have to use the key. I just noticed this yesterday, who knows how long it's been like that, but it sucks because I now have to check the hatch lock every time I exit the vehicle to ensure it isn't open to thieves.

Can anyone describe how I should go about diagnosing this ?

Have someone actuate the lock and see if you hear clicking in the rear hatch. If not it's electrical. If you do it's mechanical and get some good spray lubricant. Be prepared to remove the rear hatch panel.

X2 - check with a multimeter to see it's getting over 10VDC. That's likely the culprit. After 11 years the wiring is starting to age and I bet you simply aren't getting full voltage to the back now.

Two cures - replace the harness - $$$, or do the extra power and relay mod. Some have reported success chasing down every loom connection and cleaning the corrosion out.

No car made for the public has decent electrical wiring. Note the weathpak connectors on the fuel injection system are a recent forced innovation, and you never see them on the taillight bulbs. It's why flood cars are such a pain and should be scrapped.

I know it's getting voltage, because it unlocks just fine via the power switch, it's just locking that it won't do. Might be voltage drop but I doubt it.

I suppose I will pull the panel off and clean the mechanism and lube it up. thanks for the suggestions.

Remove the tail gate trim panel, clean the locking and latching mechanisms with Throttle Body cleaner. Simply lubricating a dirty mechanism just makes a sticky mess. Apply a good quality oil to anything that pivots and a light Lithium Grease to anything that slides. WD-40 is neither a suitable cleaner nor lubricant.

Adjust the mechanisms as needed.

Back