• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper mount upgrade

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
My rear bumper tire carrier was installed to the stock mounts, yikes! the sheet metal was torn. It was installed by a 4wd shop for the prior owner.

So I made some inserts into the frame rails using 2x4 square tube, 3/16th wall. on the gas filler side I used a shorter piece to clear the filler tube, but to get length I welded the square tube of 6 8nch length to a 1x2 inch channel, also 3/16th wall. the channel,is 14 inch long, and just fits under the gas filler tube.

On the end of the square tube I welded a 4 x7 inch 3/8 plate with 4 holes to receive the bumper.

Hopefully this will work fine. I did some test welds and used a 10 lbs sledge to try to break them, plate bent, so my welds should be plenty good

I also,installed shackle relocaters and integrated the mounting holes to my bumper mount. held on with 5 each 1/2 inch bolts per side thru the bottom of the frame rail. The bolts go into a half inch thick sold nut plate that slips above the channel, tapped with five holes each.

I did the same sort of thing 2x4x1/4 wall tube -- I notched the tube to slip under on the fuel fill side -- I also had to notch up from the bottom on the passenger side to clear a thick metal mounting tab on that side frame rail

Sounds like yours will hold just fine

I've seen rear bumper tie in that are a lot like the ones you are taking about . what brand rear bumper do you have ? I've bin looking for a read bumper with a tire carrier maybe a smittybilt or EAG bumper but the EAG does not have the rear bumper tie in .

Back