NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Ya I know you have to use both the stock shifter and the baja II shifter when utilizing the baja II and I'll have to wire it to the AW4 to be adle to shift manually. And also wire up the TC lock up to a toggle switch. Just hoping I will be able to do this so I can get rid of the crappy AX-15 .
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quick Question, Could I get a 96 complete transmission wire harness and TCU for my 96 Cherokee and use the 89 Cherokee AW4 and Splice in the 89 wire harness plugs to the 96 Harness?
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:23
NAXJA Forum User

Also I just heard back from a guy that is parting out a 92 Cherokee he said I can take everything needed to do the auto swap on mine for $250 bucks will the 92 auto work better than the 89 Cherokee auto I already have? That sounds like a pretty good deal only problem is I don't know what kind of shape the tranny is in. The 89 Tranny I already have I know is in good shape.
Old December 16th, 2011, 13:01
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

The trans wiring is in the engine and dash wiring, so you'd have to swap both IIRC. Doing custom is probably faster.

The 92 stuff won't plug in, I would probably run the 89 stuff over it.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old December 17th, 2011, 07:17
NAXJA Forum User

I thought you had said 90.5-96 is the preferred years to use do to a auto swap on a 96, that being said since its a 92 auto and I can get everything to do the swap for $250. You would still choose the 89 Auto over the 92? I would prefer to be able to use the AW4 in its original condition and only use the Baja manual shifter when im wheeling offroad. And I thought you said with the 89 I probably wouldn't be able to. That's why I started looking for one closer to my year range, and came across the 92 that someone is parting out close by.
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:17
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I did - but that's written with aw4 replacement in mind, not swapping an aw4 in. Since your harnesses don't have the plugs anyways it's pretty moot - and the harnesses from a 92 won't fit a 96, so it doesn't gain you much if anything. That plus the fact that the 92 is an unknown condition trans and the 89 you know the condition of means I would save the money. Maybe buy the TCU and brake light switch off him, with pigtails, but that's about it.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:58
NAXJA Forum User

Ok thanx, Will do then on just getting the pigtails, brake light switch, and TCU. Now will I be able to use his 92 TCU with my 89 Tranny? Will his TCU recognize my Tranny by just splicing in the different pigtails?
Sorry for so many questions this will be my first auto swap and I just wanna make sure I get everything right. And will I also need to get the flexplate off of his 92 since my donor is a renix 4.0?
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:45
NAXJA Member

Yes to all - I forgot to mention the flexplate
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

Will a 92 aw4 tcu work on a 96 transmission
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:00
NAXJA Member

Yes, but what year jeep is it going in? It shouldn't really matter between those years but may change things a little.
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
Yes, but what year jeep is it going in? It shouldn't really matter between those years but may change things a little.
Wouldn't a 92 be OBDI and a 96 OBDII? I'm thinking it should work, but would throw a check engine light with a P0700 code. I'm not positive on the connector, but I think that didn't change until 97/98.

I'm home wih the flu, so the brain's a little fuzzy right now.

-Chris
Old January 24th, 2012, 14:16
NAXJA Forum User

I'm doing an aw4 conversion in my 94 grand Cherokee and have a 96 trans. From wiring diagrams show the tcu connectors all being the same as the 92. But u found a 96 computer today so it doesn't matter now.
Old January 24th, 2012, 15:48
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Wouldn't a 92 be OBDI and a 96 OBDII? I'm thinking it should work, but would throw a check engine light with a P0700 code. I'm not positive on the connector, but I think that didn't change until 97/98.

I'm home wih the flu, so the brain's a little fuzzy right now.

-Chris
I'm not sure. 96 is a bastard year as you know, it's got the old style TCU, transmission, NSS, and wiring harness but is OBDII... I think it'll be fine. MIGHT set a CEL.

Since it's going in a ZJ anyways, all bets are off. The PCM on the ZJ controls the stock transmission and probably won't be happy about not being able to do its thing anymore, and I don't have enough experience with the ZJ electronics to tell if it will set a CEL because of it or not. Any 91-96 XJ TCU will work with any 87-97 AW4 for the purposes of this swap though. Go any later than a 96 TCU and you'll definitely get some CELs (if you hook the TCU CCD bus up to the ZJ CCD bus, you don't have to and I probably wouldn't) and the 98 and later AW4s have a different ISS/OSS setup, but any of the others are fair game as long as you can manage to bolt it all up / the spline counts match, etc.

Another thing I might worry about is the shifter cable setup and the flexplate, I am not sure if the bolt pattern for the AW4 torque converter is the same as the bolt pattern for the ZJ stock torque converter or not. If it is you're all set, if it isn't, you might have to do some redrilling or something, unless you can verify that the CPS slots in the ZJ stock flexplate are the same as the slots in the XJ 91-01 flexplate (which I would think they are, but can't guarantee.)

I'll do some parts catalog cross-ref checking in a bit and see if I can find anything else that might cause a problem.

edit: the flexplate is in fact different between the AW4 and the chryco auto for the ZJ. I can't tell you how different, but looking at pics on rockauto it doesn't look good. Both are 4 bolt but appear to be different hole diameters and possibly bolt circle diameter, and the chryco flexplate has 4 large holes punched in it in between them to either lighten the flexplate or (more likely) increase its flexibility. The 93 ZJ was available with the AW4 and uses the same flexplate as the XJ, so you may simply be able to bolt on an XJ flexplate, but I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited by kastein; January 24th, 2012 at 15:57.
Old January 24th, 2012, 15:58
NAXJA Forum User

I was led to believe the zjs shared the cumputrr but it turned out mine has a separate computer for is 42re, go figure. So now I just have to tie into the old harness for the tips and key switch power and such and should be good to go. I hope.
Old January 24th, 2012, 15:59
NAXJA Forum User

The trans is all in and all the linkage is hooked up correctly so I'll it needs is its brain to run it. I'm doing a right up on the conversion as I go on another site.