NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 11th, 2019, 19:43
NAXJA Forum User

Coolant Temperature Sender Unit

I had my flexplate replaced this afternoon, so far so good but when I looked at my temperature gauge it remained pegged to the left under 100. When I hooked my scanner up the temperature ranged between 167 and 1 or 2 degrees more or less. I'm thinking that the CTSU got loose or may be broken. Any suggestions on aftermarket CTSU's. I will check it tomorrow morning and see if it's still connected.
Old September 11th, 2019, 21:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Coolant Temperature Sender Unit

Up through 1996, the Cherokee had two coolant temp sensors. One in the thermostat housing for the engine computer which your seeing with the scanner, and for the instrument panel. That one is located on head sticking up near the back of the valve cover on the drivers side. I'll bet they knocked the wire loose, or broke it off if the engine tipped backwards when they pulled the transmission.
Old September 11th, 2019, 21:50
NAXJA Forum User

Old September 11th, 2019, 21:53
NAXJA Forum User

Old September 12th, 2019, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Up through 1996, the Cherokee had two coolant temp sensors. One in the thermostat housing for the engine computer which your seeing with the scanner, and for the instrument panel. That one is located on head sticking up near the back of the valve cover on the drivers side. I'll bet they knocked the wire loose, or broke it off if the engine tipped backwards when they pulled the transmission.
That was it! I looked under the hood this morning and it was unplugged. I bet it did tip backwards when they pulled the transmission. They were confused and said that they didn't do anything to the top of the engine. I thought that they may have pulled it out if they were disconnecting the crank sensor. Thanks for the information.