NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 18th, 2018, 13:26
NAXJA Forum User

Check Engine light operation

So, on my '01 XJ 4L, I went to get an emissions check a few days ago and it failed due to an intermittent misfire. It was throwing codes for all three ignition coils. No problem, I changed the ignition coil bar yesterday, erased the trouble codes this morning, and took it for a long drive before heading to the emissions station again. Before it was even tested, the operator there said that it was not going to pass the test because when he turned the key/ignition switch to the 'On' position (no start), all the other test lights on the dash came on initially except for the check engine light. So how does this work? I thought that by driving the vehicle around for a while with the new coil bar, the computer would reset everything it needed to. I cannot imagine the light bulb back there burned out. What do I need to do to make this work right, now that I've changed out the coils and I need to get it tested?
Thanks!
Old October 18th, 2018, 14:18
NAXJA Member

Re: Check Engine light operation

If the light does not cycle on and off when you start it, then it probably burnt out and you need to pull the gauge cluster and change the bulb.
Old October 18th, 2018, 15:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Check Engine light operation

You also need to check whether it's completely ready(PCM). Here you can have 2 "not-ready" but no more.