• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj no front wipers

Afireinside

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 xj it snowed a little last night. Went to turn my wipers on and they just went almost to the top of the winshield and stopped. They wont move at all now,even by hand. I'm still getting washer fluid to spray. I removed the breaker and wws stops. I bypassed the black intermittent box by plugging the 2 harnesses together and still nothing. My wipers have always been slow.
New wiper motor?
Thanks

normally its in the steering wheel wiring where it fails. specifically at the bottom of the wiper stick.
otherwise. hook 12v to the wiper + and see if they run. then troubleshoot from there.

So I had to move the jeep this morning because of more snow and the wipers SLOWLY went to the bottom of the winshield and stopped almost in the park position, then nothing.
Thanks

If they won't park then it's not the switch, because the park circuit doesn't go through the switch. If the washer is running okay while the wiper are trying to move, then it's not likely the breaker or fuses since they feed both the wiper and the motor. I'm guessing a motor or mechanical problem at this point. I would pull the cowl, unplug the motor and apply power to pin 5 (BR/WH wire) and ground to pin 4 (black wire) and see how well it runs. You could also measure voltages on the wires with it plugged in to see if you're getting the expected 12-volts and ground.

Motor/linkage replacement is likely for the best - I had to do that last spring on my VW for the same reason - very slow/stalling wipers. Turns out one of the pivot points had rusted nearly solid over 17.5 years...

Back