• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going crazy... rattle noise

Diff shop just called.
Pinion bearing is shot. Gears are not terrible but have some sharp edges on teeth. Replacing gear and pinion while in there.

This would be the time to drop in a locker or, my preference, a Truetrac.
I have used Truetracs for a couple decades and love how they are invisible and work all the time. My 2001 XJ's Truetrac has about 150,000 miles on it and still works like new.

This would be the time to drop in a locker or, my preference, a Truetrac.
I have used Truetracs for a couple decades and love how they are invisible and work all the time. My 2001 XJ's Truetrac has about 150,000 miles on it and still works like new.

If I had the money id totally do it.
The shop let me know my driveshaft is binding a little bit due to the lift and I suspect that is why the pinion bearing failed.

They said they do a custom driveshaft and slip yoke eliminator for 900 out the door. I dont know if they know I have a 242.. im going to inquire more about that around tax time.

but honestly probly do a hack and tap and have them make me a driveshaft.
This shop actually seems reliable not not ripoff prices.

so.
Just picked her up from the shop.
about half of the noise is gone.
so I think I have had two issues.
The bad noise appears gone- and now I just have something residual to figure out. still a rattle. but nowhere near as bad.

is it the same sound?

im glad you figured out your pinion issue. do you have a slip yoke that could be rattling around on the tc ouput? those can make weird noises

if any of your remaining sounds are in the fashion of your described first post, I still would pull driveshafts as Anak suggested. It will narrow down a lot of options quickly if something changes.

so the remaining noise- I have narrowed down to something in the xfer case or transmission.
Im over trying to diagnose it- just gonna drive til it breaks or gets worse to the point that I can figure it out.

so update.
After Xfer case rebuild.
Rear Diff Full bearing change.
the noise got worse.
Its in the drivers side brake. Gonna rip it all apart this weekend.-

But hey.... at least I fixed stuff that wasnt broken....

soo.
pulled the drum off.
The rectangular spring on the upper drum was missing......
idk if it broke and fell of. or the shop that aligned it was screwing with me.
new spring arrives Tuesday.

soo.
pulled the drum off.
The rectangular spring on the upper drum was missing......
idk if it broke and fell of. or the shop that aligned it was screwing with me.
new spring arrives Tuesday.

Perhaps a good time to swap those drums for discs? After all the work you've put into your rear setup some nice disc brakes would be a nice finish... Plus they're so much easier to work on and keep functioning properly. I never could keep my rear drums in adjustment on my '01 XJ and was constantly breaking springs, etc... Glad I did the swap over to discs.

Perhaps a good time to swap those drums for discs? After all the work you've put into your rear setup some nice disc brakes would be a nice finish... Plus they're so much easier to work on and keep functioning properly. I never could keep my rear drums in adjustment on my '01 XJ and was constantly breaking springs, etc... Glad I did the swap over to discs.

drums are great.

shady piece of crap people you paid to align your car- then take parts out of your brakes to cause rattling noises... not so much..

I talked to a few people in the older generation. and this is apparently a common scam to get people to blow money on their rear end.

Back