• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 231 front output yoke to use as dana 30 yoke?

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
I ahve several around and was wondering if you can use the np231 front yoke as a d30 pinion yoke and use with the u-bolt kit? will it work? anyone done it?

while the yoke for the d-30, 44 and 300 are the same, I don't believe the NP 231 is. It is, after all, made by an entirely different company and the only requirement given to them was "make this fit a spicer 1310 joint"

goodburbon said:
while the yoke for the d-30, 44 and 300 are the same, I don't believe the NP 231 is. It is, after all, made by an entirely different company and the only requirement given to them was "make this fit a spicer 1310 joint"

In other words you are clueless.............Thanks

I vote No.
Even though they are the same spline count at 26 splines, the NP231 yoke has a short throat, I think it would bottom out on the housing before allowing any preload on the pinion bearing. But try it an see.

Well a D44 pinion yoke will work on either 26 spline output of a D300. A 231 front CV yoke is 26 spline and will bolt directly onto a D300. So I am guessing that if it fits the D300 it would fit onto a D44 with no problem. I am not sure of the D30 pinion spline count.

goodburbon said:
No, In other words I am holding a d-30 pinion yoke box in my hand that has a compatability list on it and NP231 is not on it.

Well my dana 300 had a compatability list on it and XJ was not on there.

Everything I see on the net says 26 spline pinion for the 30. Should fit.

I'm in the "it will probably fit, but its going to leak" camp.

cal said:
I'm in the "it will probably fit, but its going to leak" camp.

I would need to get a different seal. That is confirmed but it is available.

goodburbon said:
No, In other words I am holding a d-30 pinion yoke box in my hand that has a compatability list on it and NP231 is not on it.

we all know what the BOOK compatibility is worth NADA. We do hundreds of things on these XJ's that are not compatible according to the BOOKS

DaffyXJ said:
I vote No.
Even though they are the same spline count at 26 splines, the NP231 yoke has a short throat, I think it would bottom out on the housing before allowing any preload on the pinion bearing. But try it an see.

The tale of the tape measure says there is only 1/16" difference in spline depth between the 2 yokes, the np231 being 1/16" longer

Last edited:
I guess you could go that route.

I used a $5 waggy 44 yoke when i did my u-bolt conversion. Uses the standard pinion seal, so its easier to grab a replacement seal in a pinch, or borrow a spare yoke if necessary.

cal said:
I guess you could go that route.

I used a $5 waggy 44 yoke when i did my u-bolt conversion. Uses the standard pinion seal, so its easier to grab a replacement seal in a pinch, or borrow a spare yoke if necessary.

true..........wonder if they will let me steal a few from the junk yard?

Back