• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0118 no start

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I started the jeep to move it to do some work, shut it down, disconnected the coolant temp sensor ( fairly new napa unit). When I went to start it to turn the wheels I got CEL and p0118 code and NO Crank/ NO start. Tried starting with the sensor plugged in and no go, so I cleared the code and still no start. I can here the relay clicking.

Can the sensor crap out this fast or should I look through the junction block fuses( already looked in the engine bay fuses)?

99 auto

So all dash worked, go to start and all you hear was the starter relay click.

I was in the middle of ohming the sensor and my brother came by, put the key in and started right up. I tried wiggling the harness and see if it would shutter while running, no such luck. Started it twice more just to see.

I'm at a loss

So you cranked it up, didn't give the battery time to charge, then tried to start it again?

Sounds like
1) Battery is old and dying
2) Corroded battery cables have left the battery under charged
3) The battery might need to get charged

What happened was after it sat a while, it gave the battery enough time to reach an state of equilibrium, otherwise known as "battery memory". Charge it up, check your connections, and take it to a parts store to have it tested. It might just be old and dying.

well this keeps getting interesting ,so I just took it for a spin to the hardware store to get some propane. It started fine on my way there and then upon trying to restart it would not start. Put it into neutral and it started reluctantly.

Either corroded battery terminal as or failing nss, or combo of both. Clean your posts and cable ends really good is where you need to start.

Could also be a failing starter. Mine failed like that. Kept starting slower and slower so I thought it was my battery. I replaced the battery, but it didn't help. That very day it left me stranded at a gas station.

round two today wouldnt start until in neutral on one occasion and it starts weaker in N.

The battery is a AGM Duracell and it kits the living shit out of the start when it fires, it fires.

I suppose for 250000ish the NSS may be a little worn.

I'm confused. You say it kicks right over when it does start, but it's weaker in neutral. The signal wire has no bearing on the starter strength. I'm not saying that it's NOT the NSS, but from what you've described it's a cable or starter issue.

If you have a test light or multimeter, check for 12v to the smaller signal wire on the starter when it doesn't start.

Most def check out the NSS. i had P0118, P0700 and P0743 that popped up and went away when i cleaned it. No idea how the cat code would be associated but it seemed to be.

Bleepin jeep has a good video on how to do it with the additional testing steps since you can clock it slightly when installing which can still lead to issues.

Could also be a failing starter. Mine failed like that. Kept starting slower and slower so I thought it was my battery. I replaced the battery, but it didn't help. That very day it left me stranded at a gas station.

Mine did exactly the same thing. When I diassembled the starter, I found that the brush region was completely full of oil that had turned to grease and the brushes were very worn. I was able to get it to work again by thoroughly cleaning the starter motor, but when I replaced it with a rebuilt AC Delco starter, it cranked much more strongly.

But if your starter is acting different from start to start that seems to be a logical place to start. the NSS might just be in conjunction with your issue. Ah... the joys of 20 year old cars!

I'm confused. You say it kicks right over when it does start, but it's weaker in neutral. The signal wire has no bearing on the starter strength. I'm not saying that it's NOT the NSS, but from what you've described it's a cable or starter issue.

If you have a test light or multimeter, check for 12v to the smaller signal wire on the starter when it doesn't start.

Yeah it is an odd happening, when it starts regular that sucker starts fine, when NSS is pissed its a weaker start for some reason, almost hesitant.

Now you mention the voltage check to the starter, but It doesnt crank at all when it doesn't start, thus we could assume there is no signal to the starter right? The relays do click as they should, but should the relays function if the NSS is causing the no start?

Ill see if I can weasel the NSS off tomorrow for inspection. I can check for voltage on the starter if it doesnt start if you still think it worth while.

Back