• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody use a Pop-up

I rented one for a weekend once, pulled real nice. The Family loved it!

IMG_0301.jpg

What size tire are you running, did you have any troubles on hills?

We used one for a season. It pulled great. I kept forgetting it was back there.
We've gone back to tent camping now though. The pop up was just too much trouble and not alot different than the tent.
If you're just asking how it pulled, it pulled great with the XJ on 30s and the TJ on 31s.

gabe4 said:
What size tire are you running, did you have any troubles on hills?

Those were 31's, Had a good climb on the 15 freeway (Cajon pass) was doint 45 by the time I hit the top. No problems off road with it.

It does not look pretty but my kid & I enjoy it's comfort in the rainy, windy , cooler weather .
Trying to post img hope i did well....;0)>

fotoscamaragera136.jpg

fotoscamaragera167.jpg

bja5004.jpg

fotoscamaragera166.jpg

[

I like the pop-up but it sure seems to work the XJ hard, I get hot on the long hills here in the Northeast. Although I've been looking at some of the off raod trailer folks are building and it's got me thinking, which is never good.

I have towed my Kamparoo on three trips totalling about 2000 miles and no problems. It weighs in about 1500# wet and I can set the cruise at 65mph all day long. I use 3rd gear pulling hills and 4th whenever I can. Been pulling 15-17mpg doing this.

PICT3917.jpg

From this
PICT4008.jpg

To this in less then a minute
PICT4018.jpg

Nice! What kind of ammenities does that have?

Brendan_91XJ said:
Nice! What kind of ammenities does that have?

Queen size bed with under bed storage, on board 14 gallons water, slide out kitchen with sink (no built in stove but storage for Coleman type), on board 12v power. No built in's like shower or toilet but we use a PETT toliet that can be setup in it's own privicy tent or inside on the hard floor.

When flipped over, the "top" part becomes a full hard floor, off the ground. You can use the area to change in, eat, get out of the weather, etc. All of the window covers can be setup as an awning plus there is a full size one that can be attached the length of it. You can get the wall kit to make an additional enclosed room outside.

We are very happy with it and it follows the XJ anywhere I want to go. I don't normally do anything over a 3 (of of 5) level trail, with or without the trailer.

I love that thing, I'm thinking I went to big, I've got a Yuma that's real nice but it needs a lift since the jeep is at 5".

I pull a 2005 Fleetwood Bayside pop-up. It weighs in about 3500 lbs and I do ok with the 31" tires.

More power of course with the stock tires and 3.55 gears, but I don't drag the hitch like I did when I was stock.

In 2001, I bought a 2000 Coleman Santa Fe (new, never sold.) Weighs around 2,200 lbs. fully loaded. I made 3 trips from Chicago to Moab, and several trips from Chicago into Michigan.

The XJ (4.0l w/ 5spd) towed it pretty well, although the coolant really did start to heat up in the Rockies. GEARS, GEARS, GEARS! 2 trips on 31x10.50s with 4.10s, 1 on 33x12.50s also with 4.10s. 4.56s are the magic number for 33x12.50s with a 5spd. I also had very little issue with trailer sway.

Amenities? Queen bunk up front, full bunk in the back, 3 way fridge, furnace, some water storage with a gas heater.

Back