• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought my first handgun, laws?

buschwhaked

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm planning a trip w/my wife here in a couple weeks to the Grand Canyon from Colorado. Now, I haven't decided if I'm going to cut through Colorado into Utah, then south to the Canyon, or south through New Mexico to Arizona.

Anyway, I don't have a CCW yet and don't have time to get one before the trip, but I want to bring my gun along in the car with me.

So my question is, what are the laws concerning carrying a weapon in NM, AZ, UT, and Grand Canyon NP without a CCW?

Been to the NRA website, but I've heard so much crap I in the last few days I don't know what to believe. Example, in AZ you have to have at least 15% of the weapon showing (WTF?), you can store it under your seat or the center console but not the glove compartment, and so on. Packing.org is no longer up as well.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Nathan

IntrepidXJ said:
there is currently a ban on all loaded firearms in National Parks.

Yeah, as retarded as it is, you CANNOT possess a loaded firearm in National PARKS but you CAN carry, loaded or not, in National FORESTS. Now, this just may be my silly observation, but I cannot tell the difference between NP trees/woods and NF trees/woods...they all look the same to me...so why ok in one but not the other???

a lot of national forests have WMA and hunting areas where as national parks do not have mixed use policies - hense the loaded weapon rule

Asked a ranger at Zion NP one time, as we were traveling through on a state highway.

He told me that they didn't really enforce the rule.

Honestly...I am going to pack everywhere I go, including NP's.

I would rather face whatever they would deal to me then go unprotected.

even while hikning and camping well beyond the range of any police/rangers/help?

IIRC, there is actually a bill pending before congress as we speak to repeal the ban in NP, based on exactly that argument -- You are located so remotely from emergency response/government assistance, that dialing 911 is hardly an option, self help is the only alternative... call your congressman.

haha this just reminded me - i just got back from south africa and there are a lot of people that get mugged inside the parks - i am not sure on the gun laws there but i honestly feel like if i was to "get out" for a day or more i surely would carry a small gun for protection against animals or any crazy man i meet on the trail - the mugging thing isnt as common here in the states but i can see why the appeal to congress is in action...

First, thanks for all the help guys, I'm taking off today.

But on carrying in NP's/NF's: I realized I needed a gun when I was backpacking in the Crestones which is in the Sangre De Christo range in Colorado and a 250lbs male mountain ram and I had a "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" standoff on a goat trail at 12,000 feet. It was when he started stomping and snorting at me that I realized my gerber just wasn't going to cut it. Here's a pic:
DSCN0635-1.jpg

He's a lot bigger than he looks in the picture.

cool, I think I've been on that trail.... and seen that goat! (North Crestone Peak??)

South Colony lakes near the needle. Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get back out there.

In AZ, you can carry openly. I had a buddy who would carry his .45 in a hip holster everywhere. Came in to Best Buy where I used to work and hardly anyone gave him a second glance.

didn't think you could carry outside of your home state? My buddy(also an XJ owner) is a truck driver and he doesn't carry his gun with him because of that. not sure its just because of a few states or what.

i carry everywhere. i really don't worry about the parks i travel through. if you mind the law and be careful they won't ever know you got it. and if they find out then at least your alive to go to the pen. :helpme:

In my county it takes 6 months from the day you apply to get a target permit, no full carry permits are issued unless you are retired law enforcement. Then I hear you have to wait 30-90 days after you pick out your first pistol befor eyou can get it, and then you must purchase a registration document for $10 which is valid for 10 days and allows you to bring the pistol to PD HQ to be inspected...the permit costs $200 and fingerprinting is another $100...in other words, they don't like to give them out....

EMSJEEP said:
In my county it takes 6 months from the day you apply to get a target permit, no full carry permits are issued unless you are retired law enforcement. Then I hear you have to wait 30-90 days after you pick out your first pistol befor eyou can get it, and then you must purchase a registration document for $10 which is valid for 10 days and allows you to bring the pistol to PD HQ to be inspected...the permit costs $200 and fingerprinting is another $100...in other words, they don't like to give them out....

That there is some BS!!

One nice thing about being Government Law Enforcement is the LEOSA (law enforcement officers safety act), nationwide concealed carry. I just carry the bill in my glove box incase I get to some backwoods place that has no idea what it is.

jwtrapper said:
That there is some BS!!

One nice thing about being Government Law Enforcement is the LEOSA (law enforcement officers safety act), nationwide concealed carry. I just carry the bill in my glove box incase I get to some backwoods place that has no idea what it is.

You would still have to apply and potentialy wait 6 months, you would have the same permit as everyone else, it would just be stamped "retired federal law enforcement"...if you are not retired I guess it is assumed that you have a right to carry and do not need to have a permit, I think...but you would still have to go through the registration process for each weapon

Back