• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear storage platform

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I want to build a rear storage platform this spring, i have been thinking and searching at MUD and found one almost exactly like what i have envisioned.

This will not be used as a sleeping platform as i wont fit comfortable inside the XJ. A RTT will eventually fill that void.

My plan is to eliminate the rear seat entirely and bring the platform within inches of the front seats. Level with the wheelwells, and sliders filling the space between wheelwells. behind the wheelwells will be wings for additional storage. There will also be two storage compartments in front of the sliders just behind the seats.

One of the forward storage compartments will probably house dual batteries in anticipation of a fridge/freezer and other electrical draws. One of the rear wings will house a hardwired power inverter for 110v accessories with an outlet on the outside facing the rear hatch.

I havent decided yet if i will use the other wing for mounting my Quick-Air compressor, or update to an underhood York once the battery is relocated.

On the sliders i know i want to use 500# sliders, probably overkill but WTH. There will be recessed cargo tiedowns on top of the decking. And the entire thing will be carpeted or coated with Durabak.

I'm wondering what type of latches to use on the rear sliders that will keep them secure and TIGHT so i dont have a movement/clunk with every acceleration and brake. What about latches for the wing doors and front storage compartments? I'd like them to be recessed.

Figure i'll use piano hinges for the lids/doors as well.

Heres a few pics of one done by Zane at Mud, very close to what i have been envisioning.

I'd appreciate any input on other design or additional options. I will only be doing this once.

rearstoragedesign3.jpg

rearstoragedesign2.jpg

rearstoragedesign1.jpg

Here's what I did...

I still use my heep for work occasionally, and even without the spare tire, the height makes it difficult to fit sawhorses, and to lift heavy items that high (the spare tire is a near hernia itself...)

I double hinged the front compartment doors so they would take up less room when up, and could be farther forward without hitting the front seat on the way up. To keep them closed I strap a cooler down on one side, and my toolbox full of spare fluids on the other.

I used 200lb drawer glides, but more as guides than glides. The actual weight is supported by the plywood base when closed, so while it takes a good tug to pull out, I don't have the problem of it trying to roll around while driving.

Is it easily removed to bring your XJ back to a multi-passeger vehicle? Where did you find those heavy drawer glides?
I'm impressed as I can't even drive a nail into a board without bending the nail or splitting the board. Metal on the other hand.....no problem.

My heep's days as a short bus are long gone, but there are 5 bolts holding the storage unit in place. The 3 visible in the one pic in front of the spare, and one on each side of the spare , near where the strap is.

So where did you find the sliders/gliders from? I assume the eye bolts and the three in the center of the platform are the five you are refering to.
If I didn't mention it....nice woodworking skills.

To the op..... You want to mount batteries for use as a power source for your beerhouse. How fo you plan to vent the chlorine gas from the batteries???

w_howey said:
To the op..... You want to mount batteries for use as a power source for your beerhouse. How fo you plan to vent the chlorine gas from the batteries???

Wasnt aware i needed to... care to enlighten me?

Would a set of Optima's be safe inside the cabin?

closed cell batteries are ok inside the cabin as I recall.

Optima's, Oddysee, and other closed cells do not expel gases, no need to vent.

beakie said:
closed cell batteries are ok inside the cabin as I recall.

Optima's, Oddysee, and other closed cells do not expel gases, no need to vent.

Oddessy yes, Optima No. Optima's still vent gases from the battery. They are not a true AGM(absorbed glass mat) battery. Rather than a liquid acid mixture Optima's use a gel consistency mixture. Take a look at the top of the Optima battery. It has two small vents, they are the small round gray spots that look like a cultured stone spot. The design doesn't allow leakage of the gel inside, but does allow gases to escape.

To the OP, all lead acid batteries expel dangerous gases when being charged or discharged. Chlorine is the major problem gas that is expelled during the process.

To safely mount batteries inside you need to:

A. Seal the battery comparment from the interior, and provide a vent to the outside.

B. Use a non-venting battery, like a AGM battery or a dry cell type.

Google building EV's you will get a HUGE amount of information concerning this problem. The problem is the AGM and dry-cell type batteries are EXPENSIVE compared to lead acid batteries.

nice, good to know, thanks.

w_howey said:
Oddessy yes, Optima No. Optima's still vent gases from the battery. They are not a true AGM(absorbed glass mat) battery. Rather than a liquid acid mixture Optima's use a gel consistency mixture. Take a look at the top of the Optima battery. It has two small vents, they are the small round gray spots that look like a cultured stone spot. The design doesn't allow leakage of the gel inside, but does allow gases to escape.

To the OP, all lead acid batteries expel dangerous gases when being charged or discharged. Chlorine is the major problem gas that is expelled during the process.

To safely mount batteries inside you need to:

A. Seal the battery comparment from the interior, and provide a vent to the outside.

B. Use a non-venting battery, like a AGM battery or a dry cell type.

Google building EV's you will get a HUGE amount of information concerning this problem. The problem is the AGM and dry-cell type batteries are EXPENSIVE compared to lead acid batteries.

Thanks for the heads up... i'll look into this further. I had no idea it was THAT dangerous, thought i could crack a window and be fine.

Chlorine gas is BAD stuff guys....... It will burn your lungs and throat. It was used as a chemical weapon in WWI, and the Iraqi insurgents now.

You are correct, in 90% of instances you wouldn't have problems. But it is heavier than air, so it would tend to accumulate in your enclosed Jeep. As an additional piece of lovely, it will combust. If it catches fire, you don't want to use ABC dry chem extinguishers(which is the most common kind people put in their Jeeps). Chlorine gas can give of toxic vapors and explode when the chemical in the ABC extinguishers mix.

Those little plugs I believe are a pop off for the battery if they build up to much presure. They are not vents as optimas will swell up quite a bit before popping those little caps off and oozing a bunch of shit out.

mikeforte said:
So where did you find the sliders/gliders from? I assume the eye bolts and the three in the center of the platform are the five you are refering to.
If I didn't mention it....nice woodworking skills.

McMaster Carr has heavy duty drawer slides

A TJ Tuffy drawer fits pretty well in there also, just have to build some spacers to make it tall enough to clear the door sill.

HPIM0771.jpg

Leaves plenty of room on the side for a CO2 tank also.

HPIM0832.jpg

Does anybody know of any other boxes that fit well in the back. I just have to much other things going on to build a box and have been wanting to do something like this. Metal or plastic doesnt matter, and also how did you guy secure it?

You could probably take some measurements and start checking online sites such as snap-on, craftsman, tuffy, and others for something that could work.

i had one and loved it until the begining of this summer came and i started to haul stuff around...ie junkyard parts and golf clubs and it became a royal pain in the rear so i threw it out and i am glad i did...now i just have smaller box that mounts to the passanger side

Back