• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS.... is not equal to another GPS

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Knowing that, I'm looking for something that has nice topo maps, easy interface to a computer (my old one uses rs232 which is ... well... antiquated ;) ) is not overly big (I saw some folks with nice big marine units, but they take too much room). Anyways, I'm thinking about something along the lines of a 4" or 5" screen with color (I think that's pretty much a standard now?).
Anyways, I saw a great deal on tomtom 510 but it looks like it does not have decent topo maps and that started me thinking on what to get for a GPS.

IntrepidXJ said:
I love my Magellan CrossoverGPS....but based on your requirements, it doesn't look like the right device for you. So check out this thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928602
I read through that one before , and it seems that it comes close but not close enough ;) I know, I probably want too much and I will settle for fewer features at the end, but for now I'm shopping around for everything :D

Kejtar said:
I read through that one before , and it seems that it comes close but not close enough ;) I know, I probably want too much and I will settle for fewer features at the end, but for now I'm shopping around for everything :D

What features don't you like about the Zumo 510?

GPS receivers are kinda like Jeeps, you hafta fu=igure your out what the end use will be and go from there.

Do you want something exclusively in vehicle? Or do you want something portable?

Do you want to use it for geocaching, hiking, etc or just auto navigation and 4wd trail marking?

U.S. only or do you want to be able to use it in Europe also?

I am very satisfied with the Garmin 60CSx.

DeLorme PN-20 Except the screen isn't that huge. With the compact size and multiple zoom levels I don't mind having a smaller screen.

http://www.gpsreview.net/delorme-earthmate-gps-pn-20/

"Think of this new type of GPS as having Google Earth, GPS enabled, in your pocket.

I got a great deal on my 76csx and love it. Bit more features than I really need but it floats so thats good. :laugh:

The Nuvi series are strictly urban navigators. There is no topo option for them. Same with the Streetpilot i, c and 7xxx series. From Garmin, your options for topo and auto-routing capability are:

The big marine units- x76, x78. You can do everything with them, even hook up an XM reciever and get realtime weather and doppler radar for anywhere in the US. They have a huge display but also take up a lot of room in a Jeep.

Handheld units- eTrex, GPSMAP 60 and GPSMAP 76. The top of the line versions of them do auto-routing and accept memory cards, allowing you to store several map series of maps in the unit. They work great for hiking but the display is small considering the amount of room they take on your dashboard.

Quest and Quest 2- These do auto-routing and accept multiple maps, including topo. The unit is sized to fit on a dashboard and has a color screen, it works equally well for hiking. Toyota dealers even sell this unit to intall in the FJ Cruiser. Disadvantages: it offers the same small display as the 60 and 76 series, you are limited to the internal memory and it is the only series that Garmin has not seen fit to update with the high-sensitivity SiRF III reciever. Expect this one to be discontinued soon, you might find a new unit for cheap when that happens. This is the unit that Magellan's Crossover competes against. That one might be worth a look, especially for the price. I have no personal experience with Magellan products, though. If Garmin had a suitable competing unit it would be...

Zumo series. Large color touch screen display, small unit size. It accepts memory cards and topo maps. You don't want to use this one for hiking though. The unit has a 4 hour battery life and a slippery, rounded case that would be tough to carry. Garmin markets this one to motorcyclists, I only stumbled accross it because I was looking for a GPS for my BMW. After getting it in my hands I discovered what a great unit it is for jeeping. I have sucessfully lead several trail runs using this unit, including at night and on trails I have never been on before. It is really easy to see the display while moving no matter what the light conditions are.

Remi, why not join the 20th century and get a computer that has a USB port? That will open up your options considerably.

Handlebars said:
The Nuvi series are strictly urban navigators. There is no topo option for them. Same with the Streetpilot i, c and 7xxx series. From Garmin, your options for topo and auto-routing capability are:

The big marine units- x76, x78. You can do everything with them, even hook up an XM reciever and get realtime weather and doppler radar for anywhere in the US. They have a huge display but also take up a lot of room in a Jeep.

Handheld units- eTrex, GPSMAP 60 and GPSMAP 76. The top of the line versions of them do auto-routing and accept memory cards, allowing you to store several map series of maps in the unit. They work great for hiking but the display is small considering the amount of room they take on your dashboard.

Quest and Quest 2- These do auto-routing and accept multiple maps, including topo. The unit is sized to fit on a dashboard and has a color screen, it works equally well for hiking. Toyota dealers even sell this unit to intall in the FJ Cruiser. Disadvantages: it offers the same small display as the 60 and 76 series, you are limited to the internal memory and it is the only series that Garmin has not seen fit to update with the high-sensitivity SiRF III reciever. Expect this one to be discontinued soon, you might find a new unit for cheap when that happens. This is the unit that Magellan's Crossover competes against. That one might be worth a look, especially for the price. I have no personal experience with Magellan products, though. If Garmin had a suitable competing unit it would be...

Zumo series. Large color touch screen display, small unit size. It accepts memory cards and topo maps. You don't want to use this one for hiking though. The unit has a 4 hour battery life and a slippery, rounded case that would be tough to carry. Garmin markets this one to motorcyclists, I only stumbled accross it because I was looking for a GPS for my BMW. After getting it in my hands I discovered what a great unit it is for jeeping. I have sucessfully lead several trail runs using this unit, including at night and on trails I have never been on before. It is really easy to see the display while moving no matter what the light conditions are.

Remi, why not join the 20th century and get a computer that has a USB port? That will open up your options considerably.

not true, as per garmins website and multiple reviews online, you can add topo maps to the nuvi 350 or higher.

lobsterdmb said:
not true, as per garmins website and multiple reviews online, you can add topo maps to the nuvi 350 or higher.

You are right! I sifted around Garmin's site some more. Topo has limited compatibility with the nuvi 310 and 350. Unfortunately, neither of these units allow you to download or save tracks and routes, only waypoints. As far as I can tell the nuvi units also will not display a breadcrumb trail of where you have been. A GPS without these capabilities is essentially useless for off road navigation. Do you have one of these units or know anybody who has used it off road? I would like to hear some firsthand experience.

Handlebars said:
You are right! I sifted around Garmin's site some more. Topo has limited compatibility with the nuvi 310 and 350. Unfortunately, neither of these units allow you to download or save tracks and routes, only waypoints. As far as I can tell the nuvi units also will not display a breadcrumb trail of where you have been. A GPS without these capabilities is essentially useless for off road navigation. Do you have one of these units or know anybody who has used it off road? I would like to hear some firsthand experience.

i don't, but i actually was also looking for someone with firsthand experience before i bought one...

I have a Garmin Rino 120, no colour screen (520 out now does tho) built in radio (FRS/GMRS) and is centered on handheld, clipped to your belt, carried use. But I have a CB mount on my dash that it sits perfectly in. Other than being small for a 'view while driving' unit it still quite good for that too. I haven't figured out if or how to have it stick to the roads, but I can use my Canada TOPO Map on my computer, program the road route I wish to take where ever I go and it will send me on my merry way.
On in the bush it gets rather good reception, will keep my tracks for upload later and update my TOPO map to show where I have gone.
Added bonus of this model is when I head out with others that have this GPS, with a single squelch (radio feature) I can show my buddies where I am on there screen, and they can show me where they are. Handy when hunting in the bush, running dogs, or when you live near a buddy but don't feel like phoning all the time... if its left on.

okay lets see.

Its the only completely ruggidized, weather proof, shock proof gps of its kind on the market.

its used by every, and i mean EVERY race vehicle in off road racing like SCORE and MDR.

The mapping software is incredible.

It is large but so so worth it.

What more could you need/want?

well there is the 8" screen version, the 840c....

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Automotive/GlobalMap-Baja-540C/

oh and everybody on pirate says its the best :D

Handlebars said:
Posts like this are completely worthless without some kind of supporting data.

What makes it so special? I may be interested in one if it is so much better than what I use.

Do you have one? What have you used it for? I have not seen one in action and am interested in your personal experience.

Last edited:
I am also looking for a gps to best fit me. But I was wondering, do you need a topo option. What happens when you offroad with a street map? Will it still leave bread crumbs that you can save later or backtrack?

I want it to have good street directions, mph, time/miles to destination. And then for offroad I want to be able to save my paths and name them so I can revisit or follow them off the trail if needed. It will stay in the jeep or tow rig. Does not need to be more mobile than moving it from car to car. No need for mp3 or any of the fancy items.

Any idea on which one would do this for the least amount of money.

Thanks

KSXJ said:
I am also looking for a gps to best fit me. But I was wondering, do you need a topo option. What happens when you offroad with a street map? Will it still leave bread crumbs that you can save later or backtrack?

I want it to have good street directions, mph, time/miles to destination. And then for offroad I want to be able to save my paths and name them so I can revisit or follow them off the trail if needed. It will stay in the jeep or tow rig. Does not need to be more mobile than moving it from car to car. No need for mp3 or any of the fancy items.

Any idea on which one would do this for the least amount of money.

Thanks

I do all of that with my Magellan Crossover....and it works pretty well for me. It has a street mode (turn-by-turn), topographic mode (tracks, waypoints, geocaching, etc...), and even a marine mode (I have not used this mode, as I don't fish or have a boat)

Please put your flame suit on, but realize that I am not picking on you, just trying to learn from actual users which GPS units serve their needs.

The market is saturated with GPS units, even my grocery store sells them now. Some of them are quite capable of helping a jeeper find his way around while off road, but many others are not. Your enthusiastic endorsement sounds like it came from more from Lowrance ad copy than personal experience. Please forgive me for the comments I am about to make:
xDUMPTRUCKx said:
okay lets see.

Its the only completely ruggidized, weather proof, shock proof gps of its kind on the market.
I am not sure what "kind" of GPS the 540c is but this claim is also made by Garmin for all of it's outdoors GPS's, including the Zumo, which I have used in the rain on my motorcycle in addition to in my Cherokee.

its used by every, and i mean EVERY race vehicle in off road racing like SCORE and MDR.
Off road racing is a completely different world than the jeeping that I use a GPS for. Whether exploring someplace I have never been or leading a dozen other Jeeps through a trail I am not completely familiar with, my GPS needs to quickly and clearly tell me which way I need to go to get where I want to go. For 3 days last year I got to pretend to be a Baja race car driver:

orig.jpg

...in a car equipped with a Lowrance Baja 540c:
orig.jpg

One thing I learned is that there is a co-driver in most cars who's job is to run the GPS and navigate. I still managed to get us lost. To the credit of the Lowrance, most of the roads we drove weren't on it's map and no track was stored for us to follow.

The mapping software is incredible.
Can it automatically calculate a route from where you are to where you want to be when you don't even know where you are right now? I suspect not judging from the features in the link you posted, one of which states, "Add straight-line GPS navigation to your off-road vehicle!"

Can you save your tracks to a computer for future download to the Lowrance so you can follow them as a route?

It is large but so so worth it.

What more could you need/want?

well there is the 8" screen version, the 840c....
I guess that is a matter of preference. The one 540c I have seen installed in a Wrangler took up an appalling amount of space on the dashboard.
540C003.jpg

I couldn't imagine where to mount a larger version of it, even in a Cherokee.

If the Lowrance in fact does not perform auto-routing duties then even an 8 inch screen is too small. I had trouble picking out roads on a 15.4 inch laptop screen hooked to a GPS, this is why I feel the ability to auto-route is one of the 2 most important things a Jeepin GPS should do.

You saved the best for last:
oh and everybody on pirate says its the best :D
I have been web wheeling long enough to know that when someone supports an argument with internet hearsay it is a sure sign of someone who is not all that familiar with whatever it is they are touting.

Here are the 2 most important things I think a GPS suited to Jeep use should be able to do.
1) Automatically generate a route from point A to point B, using roads stored on maps that you can easily download to the unit.

2) For those situations where the cartographers don't know about the roads/trails you use: The ability to download a track or route from saved from a previous trip, from the internet, or even made from scratch on your computer (all of which I have done with Garmin GPS's), put said track/route in your GPS and have it route you to where you want to go.

Once again, I am not attacking you personally, I am trying to determine for my benefit and the benefit of our fellow NAXJA members, which of the exploding number of GPS units on the market will serve our need the best.

Back