• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AK's

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I was killing time yesterday and went intoa local gun shop. Most around here are overprised and way out of line. An AK cought my eye, was not russian. Do not remeber which one it was. They were asking $495. Is that about right or is that high for these weapons?

i think that's high. i don't keep a close eye on them around here, but they are around $400 most of the time.

Can't tell you but the last one I bought was $279 a few years back. China made MAC90. It's worth a grand to me. No alot more. I'd give my mint mini 14 folder for one in a heart beat. That thing is the best shooting,easist handling,fast firing,cheap to shoot, piece of machinery I have ever shot. This is my go to gun because of reliability, high capacity and overall stopping power. The ruger 1022 is my most used but the MAC 90 is my favorite gun of all time. I hope you find a better deal on one but if you can't and you don't have one then at $495, that is the bagain of a liftime.

495 for a real ak is cheap. but if your talking about a mak90 or another knock off its a bit high. if you are really looking for a nice peice try to get a maadi with a milled reciever.shoots really well and it will increase in value. anything with a stamped reciever is just plain shoot it till its done and dump it. good plinker but not really worth a bunch. There are exceptions though , like the krakov machine, or tanker guns.

goodburbon said:
$350 brand new at the shop here. Not sure what exact make and model is, and the woodwork is really cheap and crappy looking.
Arent they all crappy and cheap looking? Care to get me one? Where are you?

You can get a Romanian AK for $329 from J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ. They aren't the greatest quality in the world, but they shoot just fine and will accept any AK magazine or drum.

I bought a Saga AK47 at a gun show in Orlando for $275, but I've seen the real AK's for as much as $600-700 depending on the options that they have, year of production etc. The only thing with the Saga AKs is that they will only accept Saga clips.

Chad95XJ said:
You can get a Romanian AK for $329 from J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ. They aren't the greatest quality in the world, but they shoot just fine and will accept any AK magazine or drum.
Yea but I don't have a FFL. I did ask a dealer about it and he said $40.00 I may end up going that route if I cannot find one locally that is reasonably priced.

Try doing an FFL search in your area if you haven't already. There are some private FFL holders out there that will do transfers and charge less than a dealer will.

Mine is Egytian and it shoots just fine. Paid $325 for it at a local gun show about 10 years ago. Put on a fiberforce stock but still have the original furniture somewhere.

Junk, junk, junk!

I know that I'm biased because of my current situation, but every one of them are pieces of crap (flame suit on)
Yes, you can drop them in mud, lube them with grease or fat, and generally abuse them, but who really has done that other than insurgents.

Spend your money elsewhere.:skull1:

John

PS

we found one of these the other day, in perfect condition
ppsh.jpg

GI-John said:
Junk, junk, junk!

I know that I'm biased because of my current situation, but every one of them are pieces of crap (flame suit on)
Yes, you can drop them in mud, lube them with grease or fat, and generally abuse them, but who really has done that other than insurgents.

Spend your money elsewhere.:skull1:

Of course you're going to be biased. ;) The shit you're finding is likely that...shit. There are nice versions out there, and people have built decent models in their basements. They're a relatively close quarters weapon, so 50-75yds is going to be the norm, but they'll fire every time.

If anyone is serious about building, check out the AKfiles forums and read how to build one here: http://www.howtobuildanaktyperifle.com

The ones you guys are seeing in shops are most likely Century Arms models, which use the crappiest parts kits around. Go to http://www.nodakspud.com and check out that guy's US made receivers. He's the one who makes the receivers for Century, so all you have to do is get a good Romanian parts kit and put your compliance parts in. You'll have something better than Century for a bit less, besides saying you built it yourself.

It can be done yourself for about $300, in stages of about ~$100 at a time. ;)

My experience with jammed up M16s in the 60s made me distrust them. AKs fire everytime you pull the trigger if there is ammo in the mag. Many of my buddies died trying to clear a jammed up M16, so I subsequently distrust the things. I have had several chances to buy one (civilian version) and always refused.
Granted they are not exactly the same gun today but I still have a bad taste from their first impression.

mikeforte said:
My experience with jammed up M16s in the 60s made me distrust them. AKs fire everytime you pull the trigger if there is ammo in the mag. Many of my buddies died trying to clear a jammed up M16, so I subsequently distrust the things. I have had several chances to buy one (civilian version) and always refused.
Granted they are not exactly the same gun today but I still have a bad taste from their first impression.

the plastic fantastic from the '60s that you referr to is in fact junk. I can assure you from personal experience that today's M16 series (AR-15) and such are much better, heavier barrels and re designed function that they don't jam up near as bad as the old plastic fantastic. Besides, unless you're going back into combat, you're not risking your life just shooting it.

Finicky, no knock down power, what's not to love about the m-16 platform.

At least there's hardly any recoil and they're accurate as balls.

I have one, and it is a much better gun than the old worn out pieces they trained us with in the AF, but I still don't think I would trust my life to it. It took me several days to get it to fire and feed properly, haven't had a misfeed since, but the fact that it isn't reliable out of the box like my beretta or my wifes bersa speaks worlds to me

I've got a Norinco MAK-90. I tossed the wood thumbhole stock and furniture, and put on a Tapco folding stock set, SAW style grip, and galil hand guard. I've got an 80rd drum for it, and have emptied it (within a minute) several times. I've shot a whole case of the cheapest ammo I could find, 1000rds Wolf w/laquered cases, and have yet to have a single jam. I might clean it one of these days, but haven't had to yet.

Replacing the furniture on the gun made a world of difference. With the wood it creaked and felt cheap. Now with a nice synthetic stock set it feels much better. It still rattles like crazy, but it is supposed to.

My brother has an pre-ban Colt AR-15, and he always seems to have jams if he doesn't use just the right ammo and clips. It is quite a bit more accurate than my AK, but my AK fits my spray and pray technique of throwing as much brass down range as possible and hoping something hits the target.

Back