• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OH! CANADA! 07

well i just threw up an overview of my trip which is seen at kndrewa.com

but here is the best shot of the cherokee
(yeah, not really off road, but it was still an adventure)

100_1944.JPG

Last edited:
Great pictures! Where did you go?

it was 2000 miles to jasper alberta canada.

we hiked in about 20 km and then made satalite trips from there.

but of course, i had so much fun taking pictures on the way, i ran out of camera during my actual backpacking, about halfway through.

a few pals from the CMC have some pics, so i will add them later.

i really need to make a seperate album so people not interested in the climbs can see the jeep shots, although they are all on the pavement shots...

..but you know what, the jeep was dependable and reliable and secure.

they sure gave me a run for my money at the border, though..

..classic case of judging a book by its cover, eh?

Awesome pictures! Looks like it was a blast.

Crossing the canadian border has never been very fun for me...

I enjoy both types of pictures. I am not mutch of a back country hiker but I enjoy a good day hike.

What did they give you a hard time about at the border?

well, i had slept in the jeep the last two days, so i was a bit greasy.
i made the mistake of wearing a punk rock t-shirt and sunglasses and listening to the beatles as i pulled up to the gate.
then, the look of the jeep with the snorkel and all...

...i guess i was considered 'suspect'

i never asked what they were looking for, but they went through everything.
what really got on my nerves, is the officer was using my flashlight to search... ..ahah!

Yeah I have had to stop and be FFULLY searched 3 times!! Each time took atleast 2 hours.. They would empty EVERYTHING! back pack and all....I guess I have the "look" of a stoner or some shit...

amazing country side. i love canada. i've done a ton of trekking/backpacking up through kootenai national. i can never get enough.

kndrewa said:
well, i had slept in the jeep the last two days, so i was a bit greasy.
i made the mistake of wearing a punk rock t-shirt and sunglasses and listening to the beatles as i pulled up to the gate.
then, the look of the jeep with the snorkel and all...

...i guess i was considered 'suspect'

i never asked what they were looking for, but they went through everything.
what really got on my nerves, is the officer was using my flashlight to search... ..ahah!
Don't feel singled out, they're even worse with one of their own!

They took most of my car apart when I came back from Washington in about 95 and then left it for me to put all back together. The American side was like 'hey thanks for visiting, take it easy guys'. Our own Canadian brethren made us feel like third class criminals and were definitely power-tripping. You know customs is the same agency that handles our income taxes, eh? Lousy buggers...

I hear ya on the 'worse on their own'
After getting picked up at the airport in Syracuse by my sis n brother n law, their car got emptied because I had just gotten back from Thailand trip. When asked what I had brought back 'pictures' apparently that wasn't believable, 45 minutes later, and we were on our way.

I will be checking out the pics of the trip, I am thinking of honeymooning out west to kill a few birds with one stone next summer. Never travelled west other than work, haven't seen a few good friends in years, and the wife isn't big on flying (migraines) so it would be a great excuse to drive out there and enjoy the rest of this beautiful country.
Glad you you enjoyed your trip, and the opportunity to stretch your legs at the border before the trip home.

Back