• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reducing environmental impact

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
Been trying to reduce the impact I have on the trails when I wheel the XJ or go camping.

Many of the modifications that I've made to increase its capability have also helped to reduce its impact. Lockers and aggressive tires help to reduce wheel spin, which tears up the trails.

Tread Lightly has some good advice, and a lot of it is common sense.

Pack in, pack out.
Stay on the trails.
Fix any fluid leaks, and have a spill kit ready.
Cross bodies of water only when necessary, take the shortest route across.
Wash the xj between outings to prevent environmental hitch-hikers.

Anyone else have any good ideas?

How about human waste? Bury it if there are no facilities (away from a water source)?

Oh yeah, ivory soap is biodegradable and floats, which is nice if you are taking a bath in a lake.

IntrepidXJ said:

I've used something similar to that before, although it was a bit more primative. It was basically a 5gal bucket with a lid, a umbrella, and some crystals (Chlorine?).

You would open the umbrella and sit it on the ground, using it as a privacy screen. Then you would take the lid of the bucket and do your business. Sprinkle some magic crystals on it and put the lid back on. It worked pretty good.

I've seen the crystals for sale at wal-mart by the RV stuff.

I'm not too thrilled about the idea of hauling it around with me though, maybe put it on a roof rack?

Good thread!

On the human waste issue i suggest a PETT toilet system. It uses the WAGG bags with a decomposing gel inside to quicken the process if buried. Or you can pack it out. It's pricier than the alternative of just burying but lessens impact. The packable toilet and a dozen bags will set you back about 90-100 bucks. Some places are requiring a method of packing out human waste to gain a camp permit...Canyonlands comes to mind.

On the bathing. I use a ZODI shower system and a shower enclosure...i dont like cold water as my camping season does not include the warmer summer months typically. Even using ivory in a lake is introducing pollutants IMHO. Even a sun shower is cheap enough to get a bathing alternative and keep it away from a body of water.

Theres a camp i and friends have been using a few times a year, the local rangers recently planted some shade trees, last time we visited we threw down some grass seed to help lessen impact. We checked with the rangers beforehand and gained approval for this.

EDIT: Randy beat me to the PETT.

John B said:
Some places are requiring a method of packing out human waste to gain a camp permit...Canyonlands comes to mind.

besides Canyonlands, I know there are plenty of other campsites around Moab where you are required to have a portable toilet, or you will get fined.....and I expect we will see more of that in the future.

I just picked up a PETT before my latest trip and it worked out nicely. Well worth the $100ish

Or one of these
s_Bdiia.jpg

I figure if bears can do it in the woods....:passgas:
Surprised the campsites out there don't have outhouse provisions...

Maine can be wierd about that stuff. A campground has provisions, if your not at a campground then you are either camping illegally or far enough out so that it's not an impact issue. Although I know of a few random outhouses out in the middle of nowhere on snowmobile trails that were state sponsored. Strange thing to come across in the middle of the night, but nice when you need it.

Another thing to do to tread lightly is to take the beaten path, so to speak. Don't turn around in the middle of the woods, wait for a turn off or intersection if you can, things like that. Also be aware of fire dangers, never a good feeling to come acrossed an abandoned fire pit that is still smoldering...

98XJSport said:
Maine can be wierd about that stuff. A campground has provisions, if your not at a campground then you are either camping illegally or far enough out so that it's not an impact issue. Although I know of a few random outhouses out in the middle of nowhere on snowmobile trails that were state sponsored. Strange thing to come across in the middle of the night, but nice when you need it.

things work a lot differently out West on BLM and NFS land than out here in the East :)

Handlebars said:
I've got one of those PETT toilets. The seat could be just a smidge bigger, other than that it sure beats the alternative...
orig.jpg

Geeze, you either need to go on a diet or buy a straight one next time....

Oh yea :D :D :D :D

98XJSport said:
Another thing to do to tread lightly is to take the beaten path, so to speak. Don't turn around in the middle of the woods, wait for a turn off or intersection if you can, things like that. Also be aware of fire dangers, never a good feeling to come acrossed an abandoned fire pit that is still smoldering...

Learned that one the hard way yesterday hiking in Glacier National Park. I walked a few steps off the path to let a couple pass, and found myself standing on a bee hive. Got stung once on the ankle before I noticed the swarm around my legs.

Sell your jeep, get a backpack, grow dreadlocks and buy a subaru.
Prepmech said:
Been trying to reduce the impact I have on the trails when I wheel the XJ or go camping.

Many of the modifications that I've made to increase its capability have also helped to reduce its impact. Lockers and aggressive tires help to reduce wheel spin, which tears up the trails.

Tread Lightly has some good advice, and a lot of it is common sense.

Pack in, pack out.
Stay on the trails.
Fix any fluid leaks, and have a spill kit ready.
Cross bodies of water only when necessary, take the shortest route across.
Wash the xj between outings to prevent environmental hitch-hikers.

Anyone else have any good ideas?

How about human waste? Bury it if there are no facilities (away from a water source)?

Oh yeah, ivory soap is biodegradable and floats, which is nice if you are taking a bath in a lake.

Handlebars said:
I've got one of those PETT toilets. The seat could be just a smidge bigger, other than that it sure beats the alternative...
orig.jpg

They have a few of those in Canada in Algonquin Provincial Park. Definitely nice to have when you are on your senior trip with a bunch of girls :D

You could always carry a (empty :D ) 1 gallon ice cream bucket and line it with plastic WalMart bags for the deuce. I'd definitely make a box or carrier for the waste on the roof rack or something so i don't have to ride with it.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
I'd definitely make a box or carrier for the waste on the roof rack or something so i don't have to ride with it.

Yeah, a poop tube is a pretty common thing amongst backpackers/climbers that are in areas where they have to pack out feces. Just a length of PVC threaded on each end with caps. Could easily strap on lengthwise on the roof.

And as far as the comments about "you're far enough out that it's not an impact issue" There is NO place in the wilderness where impact isn't an issue. Cities, big established campgrounds, already impacted areas... Those are the places where it doesn't "matter." The further out you go the MORE important it is to tread lightly, not the other way around.

I'm not getting on a hippie soapbox here, its mainly a selfish thing. I don't go into the backcountry to find toilet paper that someone buried and a curious animal dug up. I go to get away from signs of humanity. Its simple courtesy and respect. Our east coast mountains have good soil for digging catholes so really you can just bury a deuce and pack out the TP, and you can do that in those plastic grocery bags they give you so damn many of and a length of PVC pipe.

The canyonlands and other arid places rules about packing out or having toilets is partly because of lots of traffic but more importantly because there isn't a rich, biodegrading forest floor to bury the deed in. When there's soil and a lot of bacteria to break it down, it isn't such a big deal. In the desert you're left with smearing it on rocks or burying it in dry sand (litterbox effect). Multiply those by the amount of traffic and you can see why the laws are there.

I wouldn’t use white bags of any kind (trash or grocery). They are transparent enough to put you off your lunch when used for the #2. Ask me how I know. I only use black bags now and the thicker the better.

This is what I have now. I bought it for a quick disposable fix for an extended camping trip away from facilities. I figured if it lasted that camping trip it paid for itself and I would just throw it out when I got home. I’ve had it about 3 years now. I’ve used it a few times, and it holds my grunting 210lbs just fine, :D but the real users are the girls. It comes out most every wheeling trip for a #1 pit stop and it has held up very well. After 3 years of floating around in the back of the XJ the whole thing has exceeded my expectations 10x. The best part is it folds flat and will slide into an area only a couple inches wide.

http://www.outbackpack.com/

folding.gif

Archdukeferdinand said:
Yeah, a poop tube is a pretty common thing amongst backpackers/climbers that are in areas where they have to pack out feces. Just a length of PVC threaded on each end with caps. Could easily strap on lengthwise on the roof.

And as far as the comments about "you're far enough out that it's not an impact issue" There is NO place in the wilderness where impact isn't an issue. Cities, big established campgrounds, already impacted areas... Those are the places where it doesn't "matter." The further out you go the MORE important it is to tread lightly, not the other way around.

Just remember one thing before you strap anything like that to a roof rack... $hit always runs downhill :D

Im not going to argue the second part, to each thier own. But Ill be sticking to leaves and behind a rock before I backpack anything out up here. Keep in mind Im not talking parks or hiking trails. :cheers:

Back