• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mine exploring...

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone on here do much abandoned mine exploring??

I live in So Cal and do quite a bit of it. There are hundreds of abandoned mines and even more still yet to be found...

Pretty much all the trails out here are because of mining. I usually try to stop and poke my head in each one I find along the trail.

My daughter and her friend checking out an old mine opening

022_Exploring_an_old_mine.jpg

Old mining hopper along Copper Creek

Copper_Creek_27_Nov_04_004_Old_mine_hopper.jpg

Columbia Mine, Martinez Canyon

Martinez+Canyon+31+Mar+07-18.jpg

Looking down Martinez Canyon you can see Jeeps parked in front of the Columbia Mine

Martinez_Canyon_5_Feb_05_012.jpg

i got talked into checking one out in AZ when i lived out there... freaked me out... walls kept shrinking in, claustrophobia kicked in, watching my buddy stick his head through a hole just big enough for a body to slip through then come running full speed in my direction yelling "SH!T... they're headed this way!" or something to that effect... bats chased our asses out of there... but it was his wide-eyed screaming that got me to turn and find my way back to the jeep...

no more mine exploration for me...

Thats very sad news....

Whenever we go in mines we go very well prepared..We take our time and make sure every foot step is a good one...

Trying to jump over a 10' wide vertical mine shaft is not quite my idea of "exploring."

Wow, a thousand foot drop! I wonder if he took a breath between screams on the way down.

Here in Colordo it is against the law. Any way, around here, poisonous gas is common in the mines.

I've done a little bit here (CA) and in Colorado. Mainly short, horizontal shafts, none of the vertical stuff.

Wouldn't mind doing some more.

old_man said:
Here in Colordo it is against the law. Any way, around here, poisonous gas is common in the mines.

No problem.
Just take a canary with you. :thumbup:

...and watch out for the tommyknockers!

I love exploring old mines and mining areas, probably my favorite thing to use my Jeep for. Some of the best stuff I've seen has been in the Panamint Valley area.
Pleasant Canyon in the Panamint Range...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Defense Mine in the Argus Range...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Going up one of the many sets of ladders...
standard.jpg

West of Delta, Utah also has some cool stuff but I havn't had a chance to check much of it out.
Here's some pics from Chainsaw/Upper Chainsaw West of Delta...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

theres some pretty cool ones within 100 miles of my home so Ive been to the ones Ive heard about. some things I wont do is the ones that have even just a verticle entry. a couple friends of mine went in one while I stayed out side with thier kids. I made them take my rope as far as it would go and they only made it about 30 feet in when one wall colapsed in front of them. we havent been inside a mine since but theres a few Id like to go visit and camp at again

Don't like Mines much. The chemicals, risks of cave-ins, or gas sorta worries me. I like looking at the equipment and such though. Always find old mining equipment when hiking around MT and evne SD for that matter.

RTicUL8 said:
No problem.
Just take a canary with you. :thumbup:

...and watch out for the tommyknockers!

Doesn't always work. IIRC depends on the concetration of gas.

Looking down Martinez Canyon you can see Jeeps parked in front of the Columbia Mine

Martinez_Canyon_5_Feb_05_012.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice photos, looks like a wonderful place to explore.

Back