• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Google Earth

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
This is so cool! I am playing around a bit just getting familiar with it.

Who else is using it? What functions have you found?

John B said:
This is so cool! I am playing around a bit just getting familiar with it.

Who else is using it? What functions have you found?

It's an awesome visualisation tool for GPS routes. As long as you're using software (I've been using GPS Trackmaker under Windows) that can export to .kml/.kmz format, you're set.

John B said:
Just found this link at IH8MUD re: using GPS with Google Earth.

http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/ug_gps.html

Nice link; there's some really good info there.

casm...thanks. I have ALOT to learn about GPS and it's use with mapping software etc. Specifically a discontinued Garmin V i just bought new.

No worries. What I've learned over the past few years is that the important thing is for your GPS software to be able to export to a file format that everyone else can read. This typically means .loc, .gps, and .kml/.kmz as a baseline - pretty much any GPS software worth its salt will be able to handle at least two of those three formats, and Google Earth can handle them all though it only lets you save as .kml/.kmz.

I've been using .kml/.kmz for the last year-and-a-bit or so for geocaching simply because Google Earth is free, runs on every major platform, and as a result is the most easily-distributed format - but I can still import .loc or .gps data from the software I use to edit the routes, etc. into Google Earth for visualisation. Seems to work out pretty well.

Back