• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Island Hawaii Adventures

On the way back we actually went down to the beach for the first time.

A few more sights along the trail...

Can you identify this axle?

For some reason, the currents must deposit all their debris here...

2927260860049957266S600x600Q85.jpg

At first, I was thinking that was an old military Rockwell 2.5 or 5 ton axle because of the center chunk and center hub that are visible....... but it's got round axle tubes so that rules out a Rockwell...... Interesting! Hard to tell in the pic but are the remains of that wheel wood?

At first, I was thinking that was an old military Rockwell 2.5 or 5 ton axle because of the center chunk and center hub that are visible....... but it's got round axle tubes so that rules out a Rockwell...... Interesting! Hard to tell in the pic but are the remains of that wheel wood?

In the full size pic, you can see what's left of the wood spokes going into the metal hub.

Isn't it amazing how quick the climate and salt spray degrade that stuff?
If that was in a southwest desert, it would probably just have some light surface rust.

Nice pics John. Question..... did your wife bring back any rocks......

Thanks, guys.

Wayne, that's a silly question :D

Actually just a bunch of small shells and a little sand to make a tabletop beach.

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned how a 2-door wrangler is the best choice for actually wheeling. I was offered a free "upgrade" to a 4-door but declined. As we were near the end of the 4wd road at South Point, we caught up to the couple we had met at the green sand beach, in their 4-door wrangler. Going up a rocky hill, he managed to thoroughly high center the thing. They were in a panic, thinking they were totally screwed. I tried a couple times using them and Cindy to transfer weight to the back and sides, but with no lockers, no suspension travel, and crappy street tires, it was going nowhere. So we got the jack out and put rocks under the tires, and I was able to back it off for them. In the meantime several folks who had hiked the 4wd portion stopped and offered to help, and a local lady with a bunch of people in her stock suburban came up behind us and gave him a bunch of pointers on how to drive off-road :D

We also did a shoreline hike in an area north of Honaunau Bay with a bunch of sea arches

Lava is always good for some interesting shapes...

This one looked like it could fall at any moment!

Here are some pics from snorkeling, taken with the $20 walmart underwater camera. The housing is actually pretty decent and is rated to a 100' depth, but the goal for next time is to have something like an Olympus or Panasonic.

Back