• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumps and Farts...a day with my boy.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I got tired of sitting around and decided I needed some "kid time" with my six year old TJ. After driving across Utah's west desert for work and seeing how green everything was from all the rain we have had the last month I knew I had to get out there and check it out in a more personal manner.

So, 6:30AM we left and headed out on I-80 to Tooele. Then South over Johnson pass and finally we hit the turn off for White Rocks. One of my favorite day drives.

We stopped at the rocks to hike around a bit.
ww01.jpg

ww02.jpg

TJ standing next to some of the weird rocks that cover that area.
ww03.jpg

Looking into the sun. We got there the wrong time of day to get any good photos of them
ww04.jpg

After spending a few minutes there we headed North toward the Cedar Mountains. The fact that the desert was so green was just amazing. It never looks like that.
ww05.jpg

More Green.
ww06.jpg

Still heading North
ww07.jpg

TJ puts a whole new spin on "backseat driver"
ww09.jpg

An old watering trough
ww10.jpg

There isn't a lot of flowers out but the ones that are in bloom are really vivid and briliant.
ww11.jpg

ww13.jpg

More Green.
ww12.jpg

Some of the Cool rocks that are in the area.
ww14.jpg

An old Cabin along the way.
ww15.jpg

I made the mistake of telling TJ that there were some sand dunes close by. He insisted we went and checked them out so once we hit I-80 again we headed west to Knolls. I used to ride out here when I was a kid and used to have sand toys. Oddly enough the big dunes we used to ride on are now part of Dugway proving grounds. As we headed to the dunes we ran across this fence and signage.
ww17.jpg

Utah or Mexican border?
ww18.jpg

Our lunch spot on the dunes.
ww16.jpg

After the dunes we went out to the mud flats. I wasn't aware of any place along the great Salt Lake that has open mud flats but Knolls does. It was kind of cool.
ww19.jpg

After the dunes we headed back north of I-80 to the Grassy mountain range.

Heading across the flats..again it was very very green.
ww20.jpg

Heading up the pass it became obvious how much water this area has got in the last few weeks. I was up this road a few months ago and it was a nice smooth graded road.
ww21.jpg

On top of Grassy Mountain looking NE toward SLC and the Great Salt Lake.
ww22.jpg

Remote+Tripod= bad pic anyway
ww25.jpg

Heading home....again super green. Notice the road. Nice, wide, graded. Not for long...
ww27.jpg

This is what it turned into. It was pretty much impassible. We had to detour around this spot.
ww26.jpg

The last shot (and flower or weed) of the day.
ww28.jpg

Nice report Ryan, cool to see that much in bloom out there.

Yeah but I think its going to be way way ugly come about August when it gets hot and dry.

I didn't get any pics but there was one area of a road we were on that the road had disappeared under the june grass. The stuff was taller than my hood. No joke!

Yeah but I think its going to be way way ugly come about August when it gets hot and dry.

I didn't get any pics but there was one area of a road we were on that the road had disappeared under the june grass. The stuff was taller than my hood. No joke!

Yup, if I was on the Wildlands Fire crew, I'd be very nervous........could be an epic year if the lightning comes in Aug for sure. :flame:

Last time I went to the Knolls, we found lots of .50 cal casings on the flats.

Nice trip... rare greenery... and THE BOY !!! Don't get better then that... farts or not...
Sooo how come he ain't pointing the XJ down the trail ??? Picts. ?

Curt

I don't know when the last time you were there was but I think Dugway moved their border north a long long ways. That one area of good sized dunes is now about 1/2 mile inside their fence.

Must have, because the dunes wouldn't move that far in 10 years.

Back